Chapter 24:Erratic predator in Penwort

S o u n d t r a c k
Bury a friend by Billie Irish

ERRATIC PREDATOR IN PENWORT

Edward's Pov
The strong winds blows the trees in different directions as I walked in the darkness. I stepped on the Savannah  grasses without ease as I walked into in the forest. I could hear the bawling sound of the ship's horn fading away in the distance but not to be compared by the sound of the crickets cracking sounds that filled the forest from side to side.

Today has made it Day one on this land which I have never been to. We quickened out pace as we took the longest path to the town; The Taago forest but that's didn't stop me from getting to my destination. What bothers me most is the mysterious rumors I have been hearing about this cursed land. Though Chimeandel, my traveling mate and my leader must have heard about this place but he has been quite mute since the day we stepped into Taago forest.

I'm not bothered by that. What scares me is the tale. Rumors has it that a long time ago, this wilderness was cursed by an ancient spell. There have been words that no one ever comes out of there alive. No hunters have entered into the woods, no children and animals too.

When the moon is at its highest peak, The occupants of Penwort hears a bawl of an animal, Making a long eerie sound in the night. This has been going on for centuries. They say the cursed one is calling out for redemption to this creator but nevertheless, This forest has become a home of the unseen.

The day went away swiftly inviting dusk in the skies slowly. The cranking sounds of the metal cups and our wet boots kept going on and on while we journeyed towards our goal. I could hardly see Chimeandel's face as his grey hood covered his head. All I could picture out was the sign of a man determined to reach his objective but till this very day, the old man hasn't even debrief to me what we were looking for in this awkward forest.

"Why are we here exactly, Chimeandel?", I asked reluctantly as I continued to ignite more flames to the bonfire lit at the center. The crickets crackles in indefinite noises on the wet grasses of the forest.

"We are here on a mission. I say to you, once we acquire that instrument, we shall head for our main objective", Chimeandel replied to me as he continues to scrap up some pieces of wood with his penknife.

This shortened information wasn't helping my concern at all. I felt that Chimeandel was hiding something from me. moreover, i didn't have I idea about what it was but Chimeandel recent action was more suspicious. Within minutes, Chimeandel has made a heap filled it shaped out sticks with pointy ends. What was that for? I thought. I couldn't help to figure out. Curiosity creeped on.

"Chimeandel, What the use of those wooden spikes you are making?", I asked out of curiosity, pointing my hands towards the direction of the large mass of wood.

"Oh, my lad. They are just some tools I need to hunt some rabbits. You don't easily come by some native grounds without hunting some meat. Besides, I need some meat for the soup. I'm done with eating Hossa bread and fish", Chimeandel replied, resuming his work for the sticks.

"Oh, I see. Well, good luck to your work and your hunting. I need to have my sleep now. Dawn would be coming fast soon.", I quickly made my bed on the grass, lying down in the open to sleep as I uttered my last words to the Druid.

I was fast asleep in a blink of an eye but at some moment, i could hear Chimeandel murmuring words in sleep which I couldn't understand.

"You need... Tomorrow... It's going to be... Long day... For you, Edward".

....

Daylight came quickly as I suspected. The sunlight of the dawn shined brightly in the sky as two individuals roamed the forest peacefully. At first light, I and Chimeandel had resumed our quest in the forest of Taago.
We went on and on, the forest looking the same with little or no difference. To make matters worse, my Druid companion continued with his attitude, no talk was made and I was already losing my mind. My legs were giving warning signs and luckily, it became dark.