melissa_barone's Performance

In the Song Cover category, melissa_barone performs "Can You Feel The Love Tonight," written by Elton John for Disney's The Lion King!

Interview Questions:

Why did you choose to cover this song?

I'm performing this song in a choir at school, and I did not get the solo which is the main melody, but I wanted a chance to sing it and give it what I knew I could contribute. The Lion King was always one of my favourite movies as a child, and this song just reminds me of young love.

What does music mean to you?

Music means liberation, expression, individuality, passion, spirit, emotion and most of all, love. I feel like in this world with the issues that are going on, we could use a lot more singing than yelling. Music can be understood internationally, even if it isn't in one's mother tongue because the passion and love that are conveyed are strong enough to get through any border.

What do you love about performing?

I love the self-expression and individuality that performing gives me. I'm actually headed on a stage in two days for a concert I'm in, and I couldn't be more anxious in the sense that I can't wait to walk up there, and hold that microphone up to my mouth and just give it my all. It's a sense of accomplishment knowing that I am good at something, and I am important in a sense to my music family and the audience watching.

Who/what are your major artistic influences?

I am absolutely in love with Il Volo, who I've been following for the past 10 years, as long as their career has been going on. I admire them for their talent, wisdom, responsibility and poise at such a young age when they started to now, as men. In a sense, I grew up as they did, and just having those three role models to look for, Piero, Gianluca and Ignazio really never made me feel alone even when I often was. They always reminded me that dreams can come true, as long as you're true to yourself.

Please give a big hand to melissa_barone!