Chapter 36 - Panic

Tom's POV:

I didn't even sleep that night. Delilah never come back, not even for her clothes.

I can't believe the love of my life broke up with me. It was like Kelsey all over again.... Except not. I didn't want things to be over between Delilah and I. As upset as I was, I loved her. I missed her. I wanted her asleep next to me again. I wanted to make her smile and laugh again. I want her back. I need her back.

I didn't eat when we got home so I walked downstairs to find something.

When I got to the top of the stairs I heard what sounded like a guitar. I walked quietly and I heard singing too.

"The path that I'm walking I must go alone

I must take the baby steps til I'm full grown, full grown

Fairy tales don't always have a happy ending, do they?

And I foresee the dark ahead if I stay

I hope you know, I hope you know

That this has nothing to do with you

It's personal, myself, and I

We've got some straightenin' out to do

And I'm gonna miss you like a child misses their blanket

But I've got to get a move on with my life

It's time to be a big girl now

And big girls don't cry

Don't cry, don't cry, don't cry

Now the guitar sang something sad, but no one sang words.

I walked into the kitchen and now the guitar stopped too. Some of those lyrics hit me hard. I knew Delilah always sang from the heart.

Footsteps brought me back into reality and I turned around and saw Delilah. She was in black short shorts and a black shirt that looked like Siva's. She didn't say anything, just started making tea.

I finished my sandwich and milk and put my dishes away.

"Do you want some?" Delilah said suddenly.

I stared at her silently.

"Do you want some tea?" She asked again.

"Um, yeah. Thanks." I said.

She handed me a cup of tea and then poured herself a cup. I sat on a stool and Delilah stood on the other side of the island silently.

After a moment of awkwardness Delilah walked into the living room with her tea.

I didn't try and be creepy, but after a minute I walked in to see what she was doing.

Delilah was sitting on the floor in front of the table with her guitar in her lap and two different notebooks and pencils.

"I know you're there Tom." She said moving her guitar. "What do you want?" She asked now standing and facing me.

"Nothing, I just wanted to see what you were doing." I said honestly.

"Well that's none of your business." She said calmly.

I didn't know what to say. Delilah's never been this cold. But neither have I..

"Um, good night then.." I said.

"Night." She said, and returned to whatever she was doing before.

I didn't like where this was headed.. I needed to fix this because I don't want to lose her.