47: His Nice vs. My Nice

Odette walked onto the school campus, she stared at the students who filled the halls

Odette walked onto the school campus, she stared at the students who filled the halls. She checked the classroom numbers as she walked by until she made it to the one class she needed. Knocking on the door, she stared at the teacher, "You're a lot older than I remember."

With a jump, Maggie set her chalk down on her desk, "Odette..."

"You're not entirely shocked to see me." Odette points out as she walks in and closes the door behind her, "So I'm guessing Erik visited you?"

"Not Erik." Maggie was grateful for her free period but not at all grateful to see another Mercier that wasn't Paige, "His daughter, Christine. She's... quite the young girl."

"Of course it was Chrisitne..." Odette shut her eyes before she sat on top of one of the students' desks, "I meant to come down and see you myself. I'm sorry about Christine."

"What do you want, Odette?"

Odette placed her hands on her lap with a soft sigh, "Well, if Christine came here then you already know."

Maggie shook her head and took a seat at her own desk, leaning back to make herself comfortable. "Like I told your niece. It wasn't my idea to keep it a secret from you. Erik came to me after Phoebe and Andre died. He thought it would be better for Paige if... if no one knew about her existence. And if it's any consolation, that involved my own family as well."

"Why?" Odette asks while crossing her arms over her chest, "Why would Paige need to be kept a secret?"

"For her safety."

"She'd be in the safest place in the world surrounded by hunters." Odette points out to her, "She'd even be able to protect herself. She should have started her training years ago."

"Phoebe didn't want that life for Paige."

"And what would my brother want for her?"

"For her to be alive."

Odette shook her head, "Why wouldn't she be alive with us?" She watched as Maggie grew absolutely quiet and Odette looked away in thought, "Andre always told me that Paige was his special little girl. Just how special is she, Margaret?"

Margaret sighs and places her head in her hands, "Odette, please, I don't want to have this conversation again."

"Do you expect me to go as my niece?" Odette demands as a scowl appears on her face, "Margaret, I came to you because I want to hear it from you. Do not make me go search things up. It will be far worse for you in the long run."

Maggie dropped her hands on the desk and slowly looked over at Odette, "Do you remember how excited Phoebe and Andre were when they got the news that they were expecting?"

"Of course I do. The entire Mercier family were practically jumping with joy." Odette says softly as she remembers how excited Andre was that they were having a kid. He had picked Odette up after he told her, "They had been trying for so long. I thought they had given up."