53: Familial Bonding

Paige rolled over in the bed, she glanced at her phone on the nightstand

Paige rolled over in the bed, she glanced at her phone on the nightstand. She had it plugged into the charger, but it was turned off. She didn't want it on, so she left it alone. Her eyes shifted over to the clock, she was already late for school but her Aunt Odette didn't come to wake her up yet. But Paige didn't mind. She liked being by herself for once. No one is bugging her. She no longer had to worry about others and just needed to focus on herself at the moment.

Was she afraid of being by herself? Do people actually need her around? What was she doing to help anyone? How did she even contribute to her friends? All she ever did was run away from the bad guys. She couldn't fight. She couldn't help. Maybe no one had even noticed that she was gone. For the most part, everyone just assumes that she's always okay. She was always okay. Or she was good at pretending it was all okay. But she had even tricked herself that everyone was okay. That nothing was wrong.

Bringing her hand up, Paige covered her face with her arm. God. She was so useless. Why did she even have friends? Because she was nice. Nice people get taken advantage of. Her Aunt basically took advantage of her her entire life, keeping her powers at bay with sweets. But it couldn't work anymore because of Derek.

Paige never did see his reaction to what she said. She kind of sounded absolutely insane. Anyone would think she was bonkers with the kind of crap she was saying. Some stupid fairy tale crap. Ironic. Fairy tale bullshit as someone who was a fairy.

Odette knocked on the door, she was already dressed and had obviously been out. Leaning against the doorframe, she sent her niece a small smile, "I've gotten us some breakfast."

A wave of excitement filled Paige, but then she remembered that her favorite thing about breakfast was coffee. And all that sugar.

Noticing the change of demeanor, Odette tentatively walked into the room and then sat at the edge of the bed, "Please tell me you like omelettes, cause that's what I got. I usually put tabasco sauce on mine, but I know you like-"

"I want to try." Paige cuts her off as she sat up, bringing her legs up to her chest, "I want to keep off sugar."

Odette watched Paige for a moment, "Just because sugar nulls your powers slightly doesn't mean you can't enjoy it, kid."

Paige just sunk a little bit at this, despite Odette being right she just didn't seem up for it anymore, "Please..."

"Alright..." Odette sighs softly and leans back onto the bed so she was laid out beside her, "So, do you want to go to school?"

"Not really." Paige mumbles, eyes connecting to the roof and locking them there, "I don't even want to move."

"I see." Odette whispers. She rolled over on the bed so she was on her stomach, "You're gonna give up, kid?"

"What?"

Odette leaned on the palm of her hand as she gazed over at her beautiful niece, she was such a perfect combination of Andre and Phoebe that it was hard to look at times, "In no way am I saying 'fuck you' to how you feel. You've got every right to be upset, I probably would too in your position. But you need to focus all of those emotions into something and not destroy yourself in the process. You feel down, do something that'll make yourself feel better. Do something for you, kid."