Mother.

Maria's POV:
"I gotta say... that does sound kind of rude." Gi agreed in a disinterested tone. "Right? And she just threw the pen and paper back at my face! She couldn't have just handed it over?" She nodded. "Lots of these queens look great when they're preforming, but are actually assholes once you talk to them... katya never seemed like the type though." Suddenly, she snapped into action. "Wait a minute! Why the hell am I talking to you? I don't even know you!" I shrugged. "You never hung up so I kept talking. It's been thirty minutes, by the way." Gi looked horrified. "Oh my god- I need to go remove my lashes before they stick to me permanently- talk to you some other time maria-bye!" The room turns silent with a loud beep. "Wow, she actually called me by my name for once..." I smiled to myself. Well, now I had a bigger problem. I didn't have anything to do, and no one was awake at this hour. I looked around for something, anything. I sure as hell couldn't go to sleep.

The blue binder of my adoption case caught my attention. It had been sitting there on my new  desk since yesterday, but I had never gotten bored enough to read it. Taking some deep breaths, I opened the binder.

"Maria Liam" the first page declared. I sighed. Maybe this would just be a lot of boring documents. Flipping through the page, I go by pictures of me when I was younger, interviews with my neighbours, the countries that I've been. When suddenly, a small line of text caught my eye.

"Alexis Liam: birth mother of Maria."

Alexis. So that's what her name was. I ran my finger along the text, reading along.

"Maria's father, Arthur, claims that her mother had run abandoned the family when Maria was 7 years old. His father claims that they had never argued all the way up until the day she left, when she didn't leave a single note to go by. Alexis is now located in manhattan, New York, with her husband Shawn Zheng."

I could feel myself heating up with anger and sadness. She had left, just like she had in a dream I had about her. Feeling hot tears spilling out of my eyes, my blurry vision took me to a line of numbers.

"Current number: 778-590-2338
(Obviously a fake number boys, please don't call it or do anything stupid)

I hesitated. Should I? My phone was in my hand. I felt like I should ask for permission first, but what do sutan and Karl know about my past?

They weren't even a part of it.

I concidered calling Gi again- but she probably wouldn't pick up because she's struggling with her eyebrows. I concidered waiting to talk to Kaliyah in the morning, since she sounded pretty levelheaded about things. Though, I was pretty sure I couldn't wait until the morning. Taking a deep breath, I dialed in the number and sent a text.

Maria: hello there. I believe that I'm texting my mothers number. If you are my mom, please answer back.

I waited for a bit standing there by my desk, hands shaking and hot tears rolling out from my eyes. A "read" sign popped up under my message, but there was no text back. I sighed. If course she wouldn't text back. I'm the life that she was running away from.

That night, I kept thinking and thinking-

Why did she run? Was it because if my father, or did she run away because she wanted to leave us?

I needed to know.

A/N: wOw sUsPenSe. I think. Yeah I'll just go now.