One of the same

A/N: get ready for.... unnecessary tension between chapters and botched backstories!
Hip hip- HOORAY!

Gigi's POV:

"So you're Kaliyah..." I eyed the girl. She didn't exactly fit the description that I had made up in my head. A few centimetres taller, hair a few inches shorter. But it was her eyes that shocked me the most- I had imagined her with dark brown eyes, but she instead had shocking green ones that made her face pop out at you.

"That's me alright." The girl nodded in agreement. Well, ria was right about one thing- she does sound extremely serious at times.

"Well, nice to meet you. Sorry you had to see me like that." I looked away in embarrassment. "It's okay. Your makeup was one fleek anyways." She said very calmly as Maria started to laugh hysterically in the background. "So, who was that person that um- you were with..." I considered telling these two what I've been going through. Surely it wouldn't hurt? I trusted ria, but not so much the new girl.

"I can go if you want. I can tell you don't want to tell me." Kaliyah cut through my thoughts. "Yeah. I'm sure Maria will fill you in afterwards anyways. She never keeps her mouth shut." "HEY!" Maria flicked me on the head as Kaliyah waved goodbye.

"So, what was going on?" I looked around, hoping to stall the time for as long as possible. "Want some pizza?" I pointed to a pizza box by my table. "It's EMPTY." She replied, clearly not amused. I stared at her. She stared back.

I cracked under the pressure of her Piercing blue eyes.

"Alright, Fine. I'll tell you what happened." I could already feel the tears rolling in.

Don't cry in front of Maria, don't cry in front of her.

I start bawling my eyes out.

Dammit.

Maria's POV:

I immediately put an arm around him, pulling him into a hug. "Come on, why are you a big baby all of a sudden?" I looked back at him. I would be lying if I said I wasn't worried. I was so worried could have fainted on the spot, and had a head injured gi bring an unconscious me back to my parents, which would probably cost gi a lot more head injuries from my dad.

But it was my turn to be strong for gi.

"I-I just-" I could tell gi was trying to stop the tears, but was failing miserably. "I just didn't want to be a disappointment I-" "slow down! I can barely understand you-" I gave him a concerned look he took in a deep shaky breath.

"Th-the man I was with. He was nice at first- a gentleman who brought roses and laughed and liked long walks on beaches and-" he looked away."he fell apart after we moved in together. I don't know what happened. He became a different person. He would be out all day and come back drunk at night- I barely ever saw him sober." The only thing I could think of was that this man reminded me of my old dad. Always drunk. Always out.

I was afraid to ask what else they had in common.

"Did he- hurt you? You know. When he was drunk?" I tried to ask in the most caring way possible. We made eye contact for a slight second, but I could see the despair in his eyes. The pain. The guilt.

He nodded.

I felt a sudden wave of worry and anger rush up into me, as my hands clenched on their own and I bit down onto my bottom lip. "Why didn't you leave? Why did you let that piece of garbage hurt you?" He looked away. "You won't get it." "I will. Say it. Why didn't you leave?" I stood my ground. "Surely you could've found someone else." His tears poured back again. "You wouldn't get it. You- you just wouldn't."

After a long moment, he finally gave in.

"Look at me, Maria. I'm beaten up. I barely make enough money at gigs to get home. The truth is, I've already grown dependent on him- he pays the rent, and that's the most important thing to me."

I stared at him in disbelief. "Most important thing? Look at you? You should look at yourself- having more money is the first priority? What about your health? Your family?"

He started to mumble off, his eyes glazed from the tears.

"Always....not good enough...." I couldn't bear to listen to him anymore.

"Speak up! You're scaring me gi, the way you've been acting since you woke up. You're not the same." "I was so stupid, thinking I would be able to become successful in the city.... thinking that this would be like living the dream..." the atmosphere of the room was tense: "I just- I want to stop being the damn black sheep- to just be normal-" I looked at him in suprise. "Odd one out? You? You're practically perfect-" he crumbled down into the hospital bed.

"You don't get it. My brothers, with their perfect families and their houses in the city and their degrees and high paying jobs- what am I? A cross dressing twenty year old thats stuck in a hospital bed." He punched the table beside him, causing me to stumble back a few steps. "Gi! You have your value too- you're kind and you're willing to help and you're-" I was cut of by Gigi's mumbling.

"But my brothers do those things better than me. Face it-I'm a disappointment. I know what I've wasted."The tears started rolling again, and I couldn't help but to cry along. I wanted to comfort him- but I just couldn't.

"But- why couldn't you just ditch that guy you were with and-" suddenly, the prices all fit together.

Pride.

"He payed my rent. I would to anything to not have to pack my stuff and go back to live with my parents. Anything." It was so stupid when I first heard it, but the more I thought about it- the more I agreed with her. I would've stayed too.

Because I knew the terrible feeling to well.

The feeling that you don't fit in at all.

In the same way that Gigi was sacrificing her health for her pride, I was sacrificing my grasp on reality for mines.

Edit: not the longest chapter in the book, but definitely on the longer side to make up for the last chapter. Hope you all enjoyed it! This was also the first chapter to break 1000 words (though that's mostly because of how long the a/ns are )