Mistakes

Kaliyah's POV:

I'm not going to lie, I was getting really into this whole "mystery uncle" thing.

Did he even exist? If he did, who was he? We looked all over Maria's heavy case binder, but all we could gather was that her mom had a brother who moved to California at age 17. That was obviously no use- but at least we knew that he should still be around our area.

"So, let me get this straight. Maria has been having dreams about her mother and her uncle that may or may not exist, and you've been helping her solve this thing?" Gigi looked at me with pure confusion in her eyes. "Yeah." I responded, still tapping on my clipboard. "So, do you have any information or not?" He looked slightly uncomfortable. "Well, I do, but- I don't know if I'm even allowed to tell you. Just, go ask karl or something. Or Sutan. Just not me."

"So, you do know something." He sighed. "Karl told me some stuff, but- just get out of my room..." yelling out "RUDE" before I slammed the door for some satisfaction, I turned to my next victim: Sutan.

"Kali, I can't tell you anything. If I said something I wasn't supposed to say, Karl would make me sleep in the couch for the rest of my life." Sutan told me, glancing up from his copy of the "New York times". that's a rule we've all picked up on: whenever you see sutan's white furry blanket on the couch, you know that Sutan has had an argument with Karl.

In other words, you know to not go near karl for the whole day.

"Oh come on. There's got to be something you can tell me!" He shook his head. "Sorry, kiddo. But I really enjoy being able to sleep on a mattress and not feeling like in about to be killed by my husband every second." With that, there was only one last person to ask-

Karl.

"Hey..." Karl looked up from his makeup. "Oh, hey! What's up?" I stared down at my clipboard, hoping that I won't make Karl angry. "So, um, Maria's been having these dreams about her old mother and her uncle for a bit-" Karl immediately stopped, looking down at me seriously. "And what happened?" She asked. "Well, we've been theorizing for quite a long time now... and I was wondering if you knew anything about her mother or her uncle-"

Karl got out of her chair, putting her hands on my shoulders and bending down to my level.

"Dear, I'm sorry. But you have to promise to never talk about her mother or her uncle again, alright? Please." I looked at her with pure confusion. "What- why?" "It's just- I don't want maria going too deep into it and finding some things she shouldn't find-" I stared at her. "What things?"

Karl sighed, slumping back down into her chair. "You really won't leave until you get something out of me, huh?" I nodded like a turbo. "Alright, but, you can't tell any of this to Maria." She sighed, staring down at the ground. "Maria's mom- I guess I'll jsut be straight forward with you. She passed away a few years ago." I stared at her in complete disbelief. "What? But- there's no way- we checked through all the documents, and it didn't say that anywhere-" Karl slid down into his chair, looking ashamed. "When me and sutan were taking her stuff to her room on the first day- well, we took some things out of the binder..." "you're telling me you lied to maria about her own mom's death?" I was far beyond the point of no return.

Karl sighed. "I guess you can put it that way."

"But- what about her uncle? Where is he?" Karl looked around. "Well- you see- it's hard to tell who he was because both him and Maria's birth mom were disowned by their parents- Maria's mom married at 18- there's almost no documents of her old last name before she changed it to Liam. We don't know who her brother is." I was baffled. "But- theres got to be something- some document-" he looked at me, and pulled me close.

"I'll tell you something- I don't know how, but I think Ben knows something. He was the one that gave me and sutan Maria's case- how do you think we adopted a kid in a different state?" I could feel my eyes widening in realization. "So you're saying-" "don't assume, Kaliyah. But- he has something to do with it." His expression suddenly softened as Maria opened the door, looking at us with a smile.

"So, hows the interviews going, huh kali?" I stared at her, not knowing what to say. What I've just found out- what it is- what-

"Maria." I walked up to her. "I don't think we should keep looking for them."