Happier times

BenDeLaCreme's POV:

"You Don't understand, Jinkx- she just- looks so much like her..." I tried to explain again. From my rearview window, I could see Jinkx roll her eyes. "Oh come on, Ben. I hate to say it, but you need to get over her. It's been seven years." I stopped the car at the red light, gripping tightly onto my wheel. "It's also been seven years since I've talked to you." I argued back. He stayed silent.

"He knows too..." I mumbled quietly. "Just ask him. He can see it too." Jinkx looked up from her newspaper. "Katya? Ben, you really need to stop imagining things. This is starting to worry me."he puts a hand on my shoulder. "This isn't like you at all." Deep breaths, Ben. Deep breaths. "Well, you're here now, and you will be for a few weeks- I'm sure you will be able to meet her too." Quiet.

"Jinkx. I nearly killed her. I just- almost did it again-" I could see the worry in her eyes. "You know that what happened wasn't your fault, right? Ben, dear, we've been over this. No one could've predicted her breakdown- the doctors-" "well, katya sure doesn't think so. He still hates me for it- and I can't blame him." I felt tears blur my vision. "I would hate me too."

I pulled into the driveway, still with tears dripping all over. I wonder if Jinkx ever even forgave me for what I did all those years ago- I wonder if he still wants me back.

I knew that I wanted him.

"Well, that's your room." I shot the ginger a small smile, putting her blue suitcase by her desk. "I'll go wait downstairs for you while you do your makeup and unpack." There was slight buzzing from my phone- an incoming call-

Oh boy. This was going to be good. Sitting down quickly, I opened the call. "Hello?" A small voice came from the other end. "Is this Ben?" "Yeah, it's me dear. Who are you?" I asked back. "Maria. And Kaliyah. We just called in to ask you a few questions."

"So, Ben,we were wondering if you knew my mother-" Maria mumbled towards me. Oh no. Oh no no no. They were here for that- Lexi.

"Hey, you still there?" Came Kaliyah's light voice. "Yeah, just um- bad connection." I sighed. "I don't know anything about your mother- I only know your current dad and mom, deary." "Are you sure about that?" Came the voice of Maria. "I really don't, dear. Now- I've got to go. Jinkx is with me- you'd an ask me anymore questions today when I come if you really want to." Before they could ask anything else, I immediately ended the call and closed my phone. Relief washed over me like a clean wave.

"When are you going to tell her?" Jinkx called out from the top floor. "The truth will eventually come out, you know." I sighed. "Well, at least I'll hide it for as long as I can." He looked down at me with pity and worry. "Ben, you weren't like this back then. What happened after you left?"  "Back then," I laughed, whether out of pain or pure happiness. "That was so long ago I don't think I even remembered how I lived like that."

Happier times.

Jinkx. Seattle. Our apartment right by the coast, that was right on top of a tiny bar. Ice cream for breakfast and pasta at our favourite store down the street for dinner. Laughing at each other's bad makeup, filming each other's auditions-

And Lexi- bri-

All the other nicknames we used to use.

When did that all become past tense?

When did I loose everything?

Happier times, I reminded myself. Happier times have yet to come.