Breaking point

Maria's POV:

"So, how are ya liking it in my house?" I poked my head into the guest room, seeing Gigi reading a book. "Your house is nice. Honestly, if it wasn't for your parents, I would still be with that crook." Gi gave me a hearty smile.

"That's good!" I smiled back.

After gi got out of the hospital, mom had a long talk with him- when I asked what they had talked about, mom just pretended that she didn't hear me. "That's not important, dear." She told me after I finally got her attention. Mom ended up offering for Gi to stay at our house for a bit until he got back up on his own two feet. Dad clearly didn't agree with mom, but still obliged because he didn't want to fight him.

Everyone knows not to get mom angry.

Still though, I kept having dreams- but they were now more intense, sometimes stopping me from sleeping for the night. Images of a bloody gigi on the ground, her empty eyes staring at me. My old mom, holding the hand of another man and walking away, with my old dad chasing after them. The cold hands of sutan or Karl wrapping around my neck, ready to kill me. I was convinced that I was cursed- someone had placed some sort of curse on me at birth, and I was going to crumble because of it.

Everyone I knew, was either going to turn on me or my curse was going to hurt them all. There must've been some way to get rid of it- I didn't want anyone else to get hurt. I couldn't let anyone else get hurt.

When I saw people on tv acting that way before, I thought they were insane. Curses, the devil, witches, they didn't actually exist.

Now I seemed to know exactly what those people meant.

Sutan's POV:

I was surprised one night when I went to the washroom to see that the lights were already open. I shouldn't have been surprised that someone was already using it- the house was more packed than it Was jam packed. There was sounds of the tap and quiet mumbling from someone.

"Um, I have to use the bathroom. Who's this?" No answer. I leaned against the door.

"I have to- it's not clean enough-" I could tell the voice was Maria's, but it sounded more strained and desperate than she normally sounded. I began to get worried. "Maria? Is that you?" More mumbling. "Maria? If you don't answer, I'm going to open the door." I tried to threaten.

She just kept mumbling like I wasn't there. Opening the door, I stumbled back at the sight.

The tap water was overflowing, the water dyed red from what I could only assume was blood. There was maria, hunched over  the sink, her hands bruised and bleeding. "Why cant I get it off?" She scrubbed furiously, her eyes bloodshot and tears flowing everywhere. Immediately, I pulled her away from the sink. "Maria! What are you doing?" Some lights had started to turn on in different rooms, probably from all the screaming and footsteps. She tried to pull back towards the sink, dripping blood and soap all over the floor. "No- I need to keep cleaning- let me go-" "clean what?" I asked her frantically, staring into her eyes. They were hollow, wide with paralyzing fear.

"I have to get the germs off." She stared deep into my eyes. "I have to get the curse off. I'll just wash it off and- tada! People will stop leaving me-" she giggled nervously, her hands shaking. "It's easy- I can fix this- I can still live a normal life-"

"What are you talking about?" I pulled her away further, wrapping my arms around her. "You're hurting yourself! Look at your hands!" By this point, Kaliyah was already on sight and I could hear the other two walking over as well. Kaliyah covered her mouth fearfully at the sight of the bloodied bathroom, and Maria crumbled down on the floor.

"I'm not hurt- I'm just fine!" Maria started struggling again, this time with stronger force. "Let me go- I need to clean it off-" as I struggled to keep her from going into the bathroom again, Gigi ran over to also hold her down as Karl slammed the bathroom door shut.

I looked back at her. "There's nothing you need to clean off- you're not cursed-" she stared back with her icy blue eyes.

Suddenly, she seemed to have gone back to normal, her eyes looking sleepy instead of alarmed and her lips breaking into a smile. Gigi let her go, as she stopped struggling and sat down on the ground.

"Yeah. That's right. There's nothing for me to clean." She stared down.

I had let my daughter slip through the cracks.