Time passing and story lines

Maria's POV:
A week has passed since I first dialed my birth mother's number. She still hadn't replied, but I learned over time to find peace with the "read" sign under my message. I spent most of my time during the day hanging out with Kaliyah (who now ate at my house for almost every meal for some reason) and calling gi during the night. She eventually came around to this routine- she even called me one day when I didn't call her at our normal meeting time. It was always a guessing game, was she going to be In drag when we called- what outfit- what kind of makeup- have to say, it's pretty fun.

She got oddly angry when I told her that I had texted my mother. "You should've asked someone first! What if your mom is actually some serial killer?" Out-of-drag-in-pajamas gi yelled on the phone. "I can't ask my parents! They'll say no for sure! Maybe my dad would've even taken away my phone..."

he looked slightly disappointed. "You could've asked me."

Once again, me and Kaliyah were called down to dinner. It's like a tradition now- three clinks of glass from my mom Karl, and we're down stairs in seconds. "It's like magic," dad said one day while tearing through his meatloaf. "You just go clink clink clink and they're right here. When I tried, I almost broke the glass and they still didn't come."

"Alright kiddos," mom said happily. "I've got some news for you two." He Pulled a glossy pamphlet from his pocket. "South coast plaza..." Kaliyah read out loud. "What's that-" dad joined the conversation. "It's that super fancy mall downtown! We're taking you two to go shopping tomorrow- mostly to make up for leaving you two here for a whole week with nothing but the bushes."

"OOOH no." Kaliyah pushed her chair back. "I've already been enough trouble for you guys. No way I'm going to interrupt your family time too!" Manila smiled at her. "At this point dear, you are family. I mean, we've know you as long as we have known our own daughter!" Everyone gave out a few laughs from that. "I don't know about this..." I also added in. "This place looks expensive and it's not like I really need anything..." dad smirked at us. "Well, guess we'll just go to this five star pizzaria alone-"

"SOLD!" Me and Kaliyah screamed in unison.

"I'm so tired of eating meatloaf in thirty different forms." I sighed as Kaliyah nodded in agreement. "HEY! I told you that it wasn't a different shaped meatloaf, it was meatballs!" Mom pointed her fork at us. Dad laughed.

"Wait until you eat this stuff for ten years. By that point, you'll be glad when it's actually a different shape."

"Hey! You said you liked my cooking!"

At night, I went down my same routine and called gi. Today, she was in full drag, with a blue satin wrap around her face. I have to say, it was the best I've seen her yet.

"And what do you want today, Miss ria the annoying brat." She smirked at me. I really liked how she started calling me ria, but not so much the line of insults that she always used afterwards. ("If you get to use a stupid nickname on me, I get to sue one as well! "Fine! It's not like I care...")

"I'm going to the mall tomorrow with Kaliyah." I looked at her hopefully. "Are you also going to the mall?" She hesitated for a second, but then shook her head slightly. "Well, alright. I was just hoping to see you there." She kept quiet for a bit, but immediately bounced back: "I don't like malls. Reminds me of how I never get tipped enough to buy anything." After a short conversation, I had waited for the normal shaking of keys to make gi suddenly shut off the FaceTime, but that never came. Instead, there was a loud bang on the door followed by a long yell. "I think I should get going." Gi looked at me uncomfortably. "Someone's at the door." Closing the FaceTime and laying down, I closed my eyes to imagine the great day we will have tomorrow.