chapter 5

I was lying on my bed thinking about My life and what Masego said , I wanted better and I wished
That's what I get  . "Madileng fix yourself up and wear this " my father gives me a animal skin skirt with beads only .

Knowing how my father is I obey him . I wondered why I had to dress like that , couldn't he have bought me a normal skirt like other girls,  what am I saying my father doesn't want to spend a single cent on us which was really sad if you ask me .

I put on the skirt and put on my sport bra and my yellow Tshirt. "Madileng didn't I give you a skirt only " my father said I noded and took off everything else including my shoes .

"Good now sit here I'm coming " he says . A lot of things were running through my mind like had he finally found a use for me and selling me off or was he marrying off to someone. I couldn't help to stop the single tear that fell .

"We are going somewhere  I don't want you to embarrass me , you speak when you are spoken to , don't ever look at anyone straight in the eyes and don't try to be smart " he says . He gives me a huge blanket and tells me to wear it .

"When we get there you will clover your entire body including your face " he says. Was he going to kill me and perform rituals with my body parts , it was scary but I didn't dare speak or even look in his eyes .

"And another thing make sure you look even less ugly try your best to be even an inch beautiful because if i come back with you tomorrow  i will make sure you marry my good friend " I was panicking now his good friend had five wifes who were older than my mom and one recent one who was almost my age but a bit older.

"Ah Tiro my good friend how are you " my father asks a toothless man , he doesn't answer back he looks really angry at my dad for some reason.  His eyes are almost red which scares me if i come back I'll have to marry him and i heard he also had a heavy hand .

"You promised me that by the end of today I will have a new wife "he says coming closer to my father. He awkwardly smiled  .

"Well my friend by tomorrow  if she's not married she will be your wife " my father says and Mr Tiro smlies which was disgusting,  someone who was twice my father's age was willing to marry me . My father did hate me with all his heart and there is nothing that could ever change that .

I decided that tonight I will run away,  I don't want to be married at such a tender age to someone old enough to be my grandfather.  But where will I go,  i have never set foot out of this kingdom let alone this village.

Soon my father told me to move to the car , this would be my first time ever getting into a car . "Make sure you do not mess my car seats" he says . So I sit ontop of the blanket he gave me

Half an hour later the car stopped   , we were at the royal palace but what were we doing here . My father opened the door for me and a lady came towards her .

"Your late all the other girls are sleeping " she says pulling me behind her ." I know but I'm a very busy man" he says lying through his teeth.

"Well there is still time , lets go !" The woman says to me I stand still waiting for my father to say something. "My lovely daughter go with this woman" he says in the sweetest way , i almost cried even though it was fake.

I follow the lady and she takes me in a room full of old women . She tells me to sit down and I did . Shortly after she tells me to spread my legs open at first I'm hesitant but i remember what my father say and I spread my leg .

She checks for something that I do not know and places a white dot on my fore head . The women in the room stood up and ululated and started singing I was confused most of the time why were they so happy .

"You must be happy that you are a virgin and now you stand a chance of being chosen to be the prince's wife and our future queen " a lady next to me said .

"So I'm here to become someone's wife " I said confused .

"Yes you are didn't you know " she asked looking concerned.

"Nope I didn't " I say crying into my blanket . I felt betrayed how can my father marry me off without me even knowing I was angry and I hated him for all he did to me and my sisters .

"Don't get too excited you might not get chosen" the lady who brought me here said . If only she knew that I just wanted to kill myself and not be here .

"Well since you came late there is no space you will have to sleep right where you are " she said .

I looked at her and cried more .
The room was full of women who were singing and very happy . I bearly had the space to move around but I eventually slept.

____________________________________

I got woken up at around three at night . And was told to clover myself up with my blanket . I heard a lot of people singing and praising but I couldn't see them . I was scared and I was tired .

I felt myself getting into something,  suddenly that something started to move " lady's no one is allowed to say anything or look into the king's eyes or even smlie at the queen " she says i recognize her voice as the lady from yesterday.

We drove for a pretty long time time and the vehicle finally stopped . We were guided out by the women and were told to take our blankets off. We were told to sit down and we did then they all left us there alone and got in the car and left .

"Madileng what are you doing here " Lethabo asked me . Hazel was irritated at my presence and Ntombi's sister was just as shocked as Lethabo.

"I don't know ,my father just dropped me at the gate" I said

"What ever i will be the chosen one " Hazel said . While Lethabo and Retha Ntombi's sister said .we all sat in uncomfortable silence waiting for anyone to come .

Two hours later we saw fancy cars coming our way , I got a little bit nervous while Lethabo fixed herself up and Retha . Hazel was just chilled over confident while i was hoping to drop dead .

The cars came to a halt and the guards came out and opened the doors.  Two people came towards us and told us to stand up we did.

"Good morning girls I'm your king Olebile and my wife queen Bamaketše ,follow us " we did just that we walked for ten minutes and get to a beautiful river . The Queen went further towards the water and got in.

"Great Lerumo gods it is I Bamaketše your daughter and we did what you instructed " her eyes turned a white colour all the girls were looking down but I saw everything surprisingly , I felt so much positive power coming from her .

She talked to something mysterious that I could see , it was a shark and I panicked my heart started beating faster . I heard a voice calling me and I went ,it was so alluring pulling me in .

I walked towards the water and kneeled,  I started crying and acting weirdly I started making funny sounds . I walked on the stones in the water with my knees and I started to hear a drum .

I cried out loudly clapping my hands together blocking my ears as it was getting louder i tried to walk deeper into the water but i felt a hand holding me i looked up and it was the Queen.

She hugged me so tight it felt so soothing I came down and she got me out of the water ."it will all the alright my child " she said as i was welcomed by darkness.