Chapter 1: My Sudden Death. (Part 2)

The first town and our first night. Stonewall as it was called, was a town with a high population and a major trading point being so close to the capital. Its name came from the walls that once protected it but now had been torn down to accommodate more housing. Unassuming and quaint it was a fine place to stay the night.

We stayed in one of the many inns, a medium cost place with a large restaurant portion. I say 'we' but really it was the Hero and her party inside and me outside while I looked after the carriage. To that point I wasn't even sleeping inside it but outside. Why? Because one such as myself had no right to sleep in the same room as them. They even went so far as to lock the doors. Understandable for the girls but even the guy's room was locked, not that I would sleep in there anyway. The inn had a shelter to put the carriage and I was fine with my own tent.

So while the Hero and her party ate in the inn I sat outside the carriage in front of a small fire. I wasn't alone however as other drivers like myself did the same.

"This- this is amazing!" a tubby man in a well-worn coat applauded as he ate the soup I was sharing.

"I haven't had anything this good in months," the skinnier man beside him agreed.

I nodded humbly, "Thank you, thank you."

"Cooking as good as this, you could own your own place. What brings you round these parts and as a driver no less?" the tubby man asked friendlily.

It wasn't the first time this question had been asked. I simply smiled, "I'm working while on the move."

"Ah I see." He gestured into the inn, "Though the lot you're pulling around seem quite interesting. What's their story?"

"Unfortunately private," I replied. "I'm just a driver like you."

"Albeit a good cook as well." He looked at his empty bowl. "Umm do you mind?"

"Go ahead," I offered him the pot. It was a habit of mine to cook a lot at once. Even when alone I had way too many leftovers. Though back home they'd be snapped up quickly.

The skinny driver stood up to serve himself as well but with a sudden rip he looked down to see his coat torn, snagged on the log he was sitting on.

"Ah darn it," he cursed. I was waiting for this.

I reached for it, "Pass it here, I can repair it while you eat."

"What really, you can sew as well?" he looked at me surprised.

"To a degree," I smiled innocently as he passed me the coat and I took out my kit.

The pair watched me with wide eyes, though their hands still spooned the soup to their mouths. Like the last time I was here the skinny man's coat had torn as well. Before I had offered to fix it as well, this time however I had questions.

"What kind of multi-talented man are you?" the tubby man laughed. "A driver, tailer and cook and at your age. If I had a daughter I'd be trying to marry her to you in a heartbeat."

"Please that's a little too much," I waved the idea away. "Though if you'd like to pay me back, I do have a few questions."

"Fire away," the man was more than happy to comply.

"You two came from the west right? Did you see any stirrings in the area on the way here, particularly around Wester?"

The two of them rubbed their chins in thought.

The tubby man shook his head, "I came from further south so I'm not sure."

"I did pass through Wester but everything was normal enough," the skinny man shrugged. "Though farther north I heard about some bandits running amuck. Aside from the occasional easily avoidable monster my journey has been fine."

Well I didn't think I'd get much out of them anyway. On the other hand,

"You said from the south, did you happen to pass through Axel? It's quite close to the border." I asked keenly.

"Oh that I did," the tubby man nodded. "A bit remote but a very nice place, though the town was in a bitter mood. Apparently one of their own had been dragged off to the Capital. Aside from that, the place was doing well. Why do you ask?"

"A friend lives there," I smiled. I couldn't give much away to who I was without getting in trouble but knowing they were fine without me settled my heart. Until the Hero's mission was completed I was forbidden to contact them. In the case of my death however the Queen had promised to send the proper explanations and a fitting subsidy. A slight good to a morbid thought.

I chatted with the two drivers for a while and finished sewing the man's coat back together. He remarked it was even stronger than when he first got it. I wouldn't be surprised if that was true. The materials I was using were meant for the Hero's party, in other words it was probably far above the driver's pay grade.

Once my other duties were finished I took out my bedding and set it up on top the carriage roof. It was a nice place to rest and I knew that tonight's weather would hold. Slowly I drifted to sleep and soon enough the dreams began. I was home working the smith. The world shifted and I was playing with the children. Suddenly I was in the mayor's office as he taught me how to govern the people. Then all at once I was outside. The world was quiet and eerily real. A rumble erupted beneath my feet and from it a giant monster reared its mouth. Stretching dozens of meters long and wide enough to swallow a house whole it was the Monster. My dream turned to a nightmare as it rampaged destroying the home I loved, all the while I could do nothing as they screamed for my help. The Hero appeared but just as quickly as she came the Monster clamped its mouth around her body.