Chapter 8: My Storm. (Part 3)

I gasped in surprise as I struggled to swim to the surface spluttering the water from my lips as I broke through. Damn it. This always happened whenever I got too eager with Earnest. The swim to the shore was painful as I dealt with both Earnest's attack and the blowback form my own body. Earnest met me at the edge, behind him Pina had walked closer to check if I was okay.

"What was that?" he asked bluntly not offering to help me stand.

"A trick I learnt from Taylor," I coughed and stood up groggily leaning on Pina for support.

He nodded in thought then smiled, "Interesting... I've never felt such technique before. You truly do surprise me every time Rain. I was right to accept you as my apprentice." I paused. Hang on what? Just when did I become his apprentice?

"I didn't agree to that...."

"It's an order," he reached out his hand and shook mine.

"Yeah... whatever," I sighed and moved to the cart to dry myself off. As I had the foresight this might happen I had already prepared the appropriate towels and change of clothes in my bag.

"Hold it!" Ardent blocked me as I reached for my towel. He slowly paced around my body muttering, "Interesting, how peculiar, I see...."

"Umm is something the matter?" I asked perplexed at his behaviour.

He continued to prod my body and I felt the occasional zap of magic, "Well you just dived into the oasis. From what I had gathered so far the water should by no means be treated normally and could have potential health risks if over indulged. I theorised if one were to drench themselves they would have a negative effect to their body similar to mana poisoning. Yet here you are fine. I wonder if it is due to your nature with mana or was I wrong?"

I shifted my eyes to Earnest, "I know a way we could find out." He shuffled away showing a small expression of guilt.

"As much as I would be interested, it would be unwise," Ardent shook his head. "Rain you may proceed. If you feel anything however do tell me."

"I will...," I dried myself and changed clothes feeling only a little used.

While we waited for the sun set to set I made a small fire and cooked dinner. It was a pleasant meal as Earnest and I mostly just listened to Ardent talk about his findings of the oasis. Other than that I rested ignoring Earnest as he sat nearby with a wooden practice sword beside him. When the sun moved out of sight and the darkness took over we roused ourselves.

"Now for the main treat," Ardent smiled and a light spiralled around his feat expanding into an intricate circuit of magic. A buzz passed through me as the light faded. "We should be invisible to their eyes, just do not move too far away from me."

I nodded but held my bow close by just in case. Ardent was a Master Wizard but I wasn't one to forsake the possibility of things going wrong. Pina was on standby near the cart and ready to leave at a moment's notice.

As evening became night so did the atmosphere turn. Fireflies flew across the oasis in a beautiful display but it did little to stop the chill spreading through my bones. With only the three of us here there wasn't enough life between us to keep the denizens of night away. It would be different if we were camping somewhere else and even worse the oasis was known to attract them. Ardent however was all smiles as he waited like an excited child and Earnest was as calm as ever.

The first appeared forming in the distance as if from nothing. A hunched over humanoid shaped shadow, it shuffled towards the oasis slowly. Its body was hard to discern beneath the moonlight and transparent enough to barely see through. While it looked like a shadow I knew from experience that their bodies had the consistency of jelly, well that was unless they were trying to bite you or rake at your skin with their claws.