Chapter 16: Our way forward. (Part 5)

The feel of the water brushing past my feet was relieving. Although winter, the water through the river had always been quite warm due to the underground channels it moved through. I decided to take some time away from everyone again and go into the forest alone. With Nill and Bert around, it wasn't like they needed me to cook, compared to those two I had to concede my defeat. Now it was just me alone eating a pack of sandwiches I had made.

I reached for another one only to find it missing. There was no one around and with the current me I could even vaguely feel the presence of any small creatures.

"These are quite good," her voice came from directly beside me.

I managed to hold off being surprised, "You could have asked for it instead."

Taylor grinned and bit into the sandwich again, talking with a full mouth, "I am a thief." She kicked off her shoes and placed her bare feet into the river. "Oh? It's not cold at all."

"Do you think I'd be here if it was?" I looked at her annoyed.

"Well you kind of are a masochist."

"I am not," I denied immediately. It wasn't like I enjoyed going through all the pain of dying.

Taylor just laughed and splashed her feet in the river, "So what are you doing here? Lara and everyone were looking for you. I think Earnest wants to fight you again and Servius was getting lonely."

"Ah...," I had forgotten about Servius. Well I knew he was in Axel but after talking with Ronalt I had let him drop from my mind. "He's not leaving is he?"

"Not yet," Taylor finished off her sandwich and held out her hand for more.

I sighed and pulled out some snacks I had taken for myself. She ate them quite happily. "Hey Taylor... do you think I should tell Ronalt about the Servius and Kerchest?"

She stopped her chewing and swallowed, "Are you sure you should be asking me for advice?"

"Is something wrong with that?" I turned to her. "You're a good friend and more experienced than I am." Her expression clenched. "What's wrong?"

"I'm conflicted," she sighed. "Never mind that." She tapped a finger on her chin in thought, "Let's see... Ronalt is a pretty stiff guy but he's not too bad. I think it should be fine."

"What if he's forced to tell someone else? If the Queen pushes him...."

She shook her head, "I don't think he would. He's straight laced to the extreme. Without your permission the only way someone could get it out of him would be through more 'dramatic' means."

"Dramatic?"

"Torture, blackmail, mind control, drugs, mind invasion, there are a few things."

"You just said some pretty scary things...."

"Well they could do the same thing to any of us. Trust me when I say they're not pleasant." She huffed with half a smile, staring at the water as if it was a distant memory.

"You have experience with that kind of thing?" I had to ask.

"On both ends," she nodded.

"I see...." There was a splash and water shot onto my face. I turned to Taylor disgruntled, "What are you doing?"

"If you trust me you can trust Ronalt. In all likelihood it would probably be me who spills the beans."