Chapter 21: My Demon Lord (Part 4)

I was back in the carriage blade in hand. Damn it! He really was strong, and I was practically cannon fodder against him. Still, that had only been my second death. This was no place to give up. I picked myself up and left the carriage first heading to Earnest. I carried out the same lesson and as Ronalt rushed towards us angrily and Marley healed my wounds I asked for his shield.

"What are you doing?" he looked at me confused.

"Making it resistant to acids," I replied and coated the thick steal in a black tar like substance. "Sorry it doesn't look nice but it should help."

"Is there really any need for it?"

"Remember when we faced the Monster of the border forest, your armour and shield were practically melted to nothing. If it happens again, Marley and I behind you will die."

He paused for a moment and looked towards were Earnest was kneeling in thought, "I understand. It doesn't inconvenience me."

"Good," I handed him back his shield as I finished. With this the Demon Lord couldn't break through him so easily.

We departed again. Though Taylor was the one who guided us through the streets and alleys I was more used to the path than her. As we reached the memorial I went straight for the hidden staircase and opened it easily. My nerves were already fired up and going through the motions, pretending to not know what I was doing, I couldn't be bothered. The others looked at me in surprise and I could only shrug it off as a lucky guess. All too soon we were back in that room.

"He's coming," I grit my teeth.

"Who is?" Lara asked as she gazed down the path he had yet to appear from.

"The Demon Lord. Don't hold back and be ready," I warned her again and drew an arrow to my bow. Ronalt seeing me also readied his shield and sword.

Just as last time he waltzed from the doorway, calm and powerful. Lara tried to reason with him, she was rejected. He attacked, she retaliated, this time for a moment longer before he charged towards us. Earnest intercepted like last time with the same result as the Demon Lord vanished and tried to stab me. I held back my arrow, dodged and fired behind me. His eyes widened as the pointed shaft flashed by his head narrowly missing. Ronalt took his guard in my place throwing him back into the wall with his shield. So few seconds had passed.

"Stop this Caius!" Lara screamed, begging him. "We can talk about this."

"No! There can be no peace with you humans as you are. I'll keep fighting till you're all dead," he kicked off the wall as Ronalt hefted his tar covered shield in reply. A jar of acid flew from the Demon Lord's cloak and splashed against the black coating. It fell away with no effect. Ronalt held his ground as the Demon Lord collided with his shield at full force. A barrage of blows against the shield rung through the stone room. I fired another arrow, a burst of fire erupted from Ardent, Taylor appeared behind the Demon Lord her knives ready, Earnest blocked his path and Lara dived towards him. I had confidence that in the same situation any one of us would meet our end but of course he survived.

With machine like precision he dealt with us one by one. First he dodged my arrow by a hair's breath, next he skirted Taylor's knives and threw her towards Lara, a counter magic against Ardent's and as Earnest's sword collided with his he pushed off Ronalt's shield escaping. In a span of less than one second my eyes clearly saw what could only be described as a miracle. He landed to the ground not far from me. Marley defended herself swinging her hammer like staff. He caught the blow as if it weighed near nothing and cut through her side. She pulled back from the wound but within seconds it was gone, only leaving a cut in her clothes.

"How troublesome," he complained. "But you cannot win against me." His hand reached out aiming for nothing but as he grasped, Taylor appeared caught by the throat. She threw her knife and stabbed at his arm, both of which were knocked aside. My body reacted before my mind did as I threw myself towards him, sword drawn. Taylor's pained expression caused a stiff panic to erupt in my heart. As my mana naturally drew forth, my heart crunched and sent ripples across my body but I couldn't stop. I pushed my sword between them only for it to be slapped out of my hands and as he cut downwards I could only protect her with my body. I died.

*

The knife hit the floor, my hands shaking. I was back in the carriage. A moment later and Taylor would have died and if that happened... my mind would have reacted and locked myself in place. This wasn't working. I felt it now. If any of them died... even Earnest, I'd want to go back. My heart wavered. The sight of him dealing with each one of us like it was nothing. It was frightening. Could we really beat something like that?

I slapped myself without realising. The pain cleared my quivering mind. That was only my third death. When I tried to kill Ronalt I died so many times I couldn't keep count. When I saved Taylor it was the same. I couldn't give up. The problem now was in my current position I couldn't do enough. My job was to support them with my bow and use my tools if needed. A backline position. In most cases the ones who died last. I needed to be first and always.

With a new fed determination I went through the motions with Earnest and Ronalt. We left the clearing, entered the memorial and once more found ourselves outside the stone room. It was unblemished, restored to before our fight. The scratches and broken tiling yet made from the impacts to come. I stepped to the back.

"Rain?" Marley who was beside me noticed.

"Don't mind me," I pulled out my knife and plunged it into my head. Her eyes spun in shock but it was too late for her to do anything. Sorry, I made you see something horrific. Even for her it was a bit much.