Chapter 2: My Mistake. (Part 1)

"I wish you all the best on your journey," the Queen bowed her head. "May the Goddess bless you and know our hearts follow where ever you may go."

The Hero curtsied respectfully, "Thank you once more your Highness."

Well... I'm back again. On the plus side I now knew for certain how I died on the third time. I grit my teeth and stilled my heart. Even as I died I could still feel the pain of the poison coursing through my veins. It was excruciating, not that it would have shown on my dying corpse considering it also paralysed me. Who the hell made a poison like that?

The Hero and her party turned from the Queen and made their way towards me. Their final bags were placed at my feet. I couldn't hate them for what happened. They made the right choice for the situation, after all I was just the driver. In honesty, the only reason I could forgive them was the Hero's grieving gaze as I died. Truly she lived up to her title even wanting to save me in that situation.

"Careful with that one," Ardent said to me as I picked up his bag. "The tools inside are very valuable."

"Yes sir," I replied with dry politeness and once he turned his back threw the bag away. Just how many times would I have to go through this until they finally killed the Demon Lord. I stared down at my hands. Four deaths, fifth try. Maybe I should start recording it somehow, who knows, this could last more than I could count. Goddess forbid that.

"Is something wrong?" the Hero looked at me and I quickly dropped my hand.

"Nothing at all. Please wait in the carriage and we shall depart soon," I bowed my head low not sure what expression to show her. Until she left I refused to look back up.

And so the journey began once more.

*

"This soup is amazing! With cooking like this you could become a chef!" the tubby coachman smiled happily as beside him his skinnier counterpart nodded.

"Do you mind if I get some more?" the skinny man began to rise but I stopped him.

"Careful your coat is snagged on the log. Let me get some for you," I smiled.

The man looked down, "Oh that was a close one. Thanks."

"No problem," I replied politely. Hiding my true feelings I got to the point once more. "Did either of you happen to hear any rumours of bandits West of here?"

The skinny man looked up in thought, "Not west but a pack of them have been making a muck up North."

I frowned, "How so?" If what I thought was true they could be the same bandits that attacked us.

He shook his head sadly, "Raided a few villages and pillaged them clean. Lots of people dead kind of deal. Bastards the lot of them."

"And no one's stopping them?"

"Of course the army is there now trying to route them out but last I heard they were slippery rascals. Not your ordinary bandits."

The tubby man nodded, "No bandit I ever hear of had the balls to attack a village so blatantly. Though we should be safe here."

"But what if they decide to head south because the army is looking for them?" I asked while showing a good amount of concern.

"Well you've got a point there," he scratched his chin. "Don't think you should worry about it though. You'd have to have some nasty luck to run into that lot."

A dark laugh echoed in my mind. That was just the type of luck I had.

"Just in case, do you know anything else about them?"

The skinny man's expression darkened, "Aye that I do. Know a few drivers up north who got caught up in their mess. Barely managed to escape by the skin on his teeth and his partner died of a poison arrow. His words not mine but they burst from the earth and before he could react aimed to slaughter his bird."

It was the same trap I had fallen for. The problem was all this just affirmed what I already knew. None of it actually helped me. As the night progressed the pair couldn't tell me anything else and as we parted from the fire I was left alone with my thoughts. Even as the town stilled to silence I couldn't sleep and with nothing else I decided to take a walk.

In the backyard of the inn, the same place I had seen the Hero practicing with her sword, a bright light caught my eye. Sitting on the ground with a golden circle of magic beneath him was Ardent. It looked complex, not that I would know. My knowledge of magic was restricted to an apothecary's point of view. A few in Axel could strengthen their bodies with mana but that was as far as their talent went. Since our journey had begun I had seen them use magic multiple times and I would be lying if a part of me wasn't jealous. A small town like mine didn't even have a proper school let alone a magician to teach.

Ardent stood up and the circle collapsed. With a deep breath he raised his hands to the sky and a soft orb of white light floated away to join the stars.

"It's a ritual of sorts if you're wondering," Ardent's voice caught me off guard and I wasn't sure he was talking to me till he faced my way. "To wish upon a star but create it yourself. I'm not one to leave things to chance."

I bowed my head, "Apologies lord magician, I did not mean to stare."

"It's fine," he laughed and pushed up his glasses. "But to correct you I am a wizard not a magician. A magician is one who simply casts magic, a wizard such as myself goes beyond to understand it." It wasn't the first time he had corrected me. "Your name is Rain correct?"

"Yes, Rain Axel," I nodded.

"Is there something you'd like to ask me?" he was surprisingly forward. "Questions are to be asked not kept hidden."

"I was simply intrigued by your magic," I replied politely. "I have not seen anything so grand before."

"Hmmm," he nodded understandingly. "Yes I keep telling the council to spread their influence to the smaller townships but alas their coffers are too filled with the spoilage of nobles."

I hadn't talked to Ardent so much before. There was never really an opportunity to be alone with him, and now that I was, he was a lot less rigid than I thought.

"Well, it is late and we have a long day of travel tomorrow," Ardent yawned. "You especially should rest as our driver."

"Of course," I bowed.

"Oh and by the way, if you require any assistance please ask me," he smiled. "I won't tell you to 'know your place'. Ronalt is a fine man but he is far too guided by principle."

"Th-thank you."

"No problem, but if you are so inclined, I am a fan of pickles," he winked and began to head back into the inn. "Good night."

Well... I guess tomorrow's lunch would include pickles.