Chapter Ten: I Hate Politics

"You wouldn't know anything about winning a trial against egotistical politicians, would you," Harry asked Krinos suddenly.

The nature mage froze as his hand was halfway up to picked an apple from a tree he had just turned into an apple tree. He then looked at Harry.

"I might need some more information," Krinos requested.

"Well, you know that our ministry is not exactly the best," Harry says.

"The entire magical world knows how corrupt the British ministry is," Krinos said. "Even those on Gotham make fun of how corrupt it is and they have had two crime families feuding in their streets for decades."

"I've never been to Gotham, but I think I would prefer any place over here," Harry admitted.

"Trust me when I say that we would happily welcome you to Greece," Krinos smiled at him.

"You have no idea how much I would love to accept that offer," Harry sighed. 

"Do you want to talk about it," Krinos asked, softly. "My friends and sister have often told me that I am an excellent listener."

"Ironic, given that plants do not have ears," Harry awkwardly chuckled.

"You're stalling, Harry," Krinos said.

"I know," Harry sighed again.

Krinos placed a comforting hand on Harry's. He gave the most comforting smile that he could.

"My parents were killed right in front of me when I was five-years-old," he tells Harry.

"What," Harry gasped, looking right at the nature mage.

"In Greece, things are quite different in terms of who will become the head of their family," Krinos explains. "Our government has a special council of the Theós and Theá of the more powerful Greek families. Think of it like the lords and ladies of your country."

"Okay," Harry nodded as he followed everything that Krinos was saying.

"Every family is different with how they handle who leads the family," Krinos continued. "Some follow the traditional patriarchy, which a man being the head of the family, while others go with a woman leading them, which is a matriarchy. Others just go with whoever is the oldest child, regardless of gender, while some have their own traditions."

"Like what," Harry was glad to be learning, but wondered what this had to do with his parents' deaths.

"Well, I know that the Apolla and Huntress families both make magical twins the heirs of their families," Krinos says. "And then there is how the headship of the Gardenia, Domino, and Solaria families goes to whoever marries first. Some families even have the heirs of their families be whoever gets certain powers."

"I don't know much about stuff like that for here, but maybe I should learn about that as well," Harry says.

Krinos nodded and then continued. "My parents had made Melody and me co-heirs of the Gardna family. Olivia is our proxy until we come of age. But making the two of us the heirs also meant that our parents passed over our older brothers, Red and Black."

"They named them after colors," Harry raised an eyebrow.

"Yeah, we don't know how Melody and I escaped that pattern," Krinos said. "Red and Black were actually passed over because even at that age, they were extremely abusive toward Melody and me."

"Oh, Merlin," Harry swore.

Having experienced plenty of his own abuse at the hands of the Dursleys, Harry knew what it was like to be hurt by your own family. If he wasn't being beaten by Vernon or Dudley, then he was being screamed at and pushed around by Petunia. Not to mention the countless number of chores that he had to do to an unachievable level of perfection or he was beaten and had his food privileges taken away until he completed them the way that they wanted them to be done.