Chapter Fifty-One

Thorne ran his hands under the water and slicked his fingers through his hair, meticulously arranging it so it looked perfectly messy. He grabbed his jacket from the closet and yanked on his boots before starting down the corridor and tapping a knuckle on Cress's door.

She flung it open half a second later, dressed in dark blue jeans and a dark pink sweater that brought out the blue in her eyes.

Thorne smiled, cocking his head to the side and taking her hand.

"Hey, just a heads up there's about five paparazzi hovers parked outside the gates," Cinder said as she chanced to walk out of her room.

"Seriously?" Thorne paused, turning around.

"Yeah. The entire Rampion crew is in one place I'm surprised they haven't stormed the palace."

Thorne's mouth quirked in a partial smile. The Rampion crew. He lightly shook his head, reminding himself what Cinder said. "Would Kai let us take one of his drivers? At least that way we don't have to try and navigate through them."

"I think he already has one waiting."

"Awesome. Tell him thanks."

Cinder saluted.

Thorne pulled Cress and they walked down into the palace courtyard. He could see easily 3 dozen paparazzi crammed around the palace gates. As soon as he and Cress stepped outside they all started going crazy, shouting at them and snapping pictures. They were to far away for any of their words to be understandable.

As the hover pulled away and through the gates, it had to slow down so as not to hit any of the paparazzi. Cameras were pressed against the glass and a few people even pounded on the side but once they hit the streets, the hover picked up speed.

"They're following us," Cress murmured, craning her neck to glance behind them.

"Just one it looks like. We'll make a mad dash for the restaurant."

Cress nodded.

Fortunately the ride was short and it was only a matter of minutes before they were coming to a halt. The paparazzi were right behind them.

"Captain Thorne! Cress!"

"What do you think about Emperor Kai and Queen Selene getting married?"

"Cress you're wearing a ring, are you engaged?"

"Have you gone back to Luna since the revolution?"

Cress's grip around Thorne's hand tightened as they pushed their way through the restaurant doors.

The paparazzi stayed outside, though the held their cameras up to the windows and kept shouting questions at them.

"Yes we've gone back to Luna, you idiots." Thorne rolled his eyes. Turning to the young woman behind the desk, he asked for a table for two. They were immediately seated and though they were by a window, it was on the second story so there was no danger of being stalked.

"So what do you feel like?"

Cress sighed, studying the menu. "Everything. I'm starving. Ooh, they have waffles."

"Where?" Thorne scanned over his menu.

"Right there."

Thorne lightly frowned. "Sesame scallion waffles? I'm not sure about that."

"I kinda want to try them."

"More power to you."

As soon as the waitress came around and took their orders, she slipped the menu's under her arm and promised to be right back with hot coffee.

Thorne folded his hands and leaned on the table. "So, future Mrs. Thorne—"

Cress grinned, clasping her hand and scrunching her shoulders up by her ears.

"—what are you thinking as far as a date?"

"March 15th."

Thorne's eyebrows shot up.

"I know it's soon, so if that won't work then it's—"

"No I think that'll be great," Thorne replied quickly, an idea creeping into his head.

Cress grinned, oblivious. She tucked a piece of hair behind her ear. "What about a guest list?"

Thorne waved a hand in the air. "Just the Rampion crew."

"Really? You don't have a whole long list of school or military friends?"

He shook his head, hiding a smile when a look of relief crossed her face. Just because she was comfortable around their small group of friends didn't mean she was any more comfortable being the center of attention.

Cress started to say something but the waitress came around with their coffee, setting down a small pitcher of cream and a bowl of sugar.

"Have you decided or do you need another minute?"

"I'm ready." Thorne glanced at Cress and raised his eyebrows.

"Yeah, me too."

"Can we get a plate of the egg tarts for the table? I'll have the vermicelli noodle bowl and she'll have the sesame waffles." 

The waitress nodded, jotting their order down on her portscreen before disappearing.

Cress leaned back in the booth, grinning so big is looked painful.

"What?"

"I'm really excited."

A laugh rumbled in his chest. He reached for her hand and fingered with the slender ring on her finger. "I love you."

Cress leaned forward, stretching to kiss him. "I love you too."

Thorne tugged her arm, guiding her out of the booth and pulling her down beside him so he could kiss her better.

"We can't sit like this," she weakly protested between kisses.

"Why not?"

"Because people will think we're weird sitting next to each other instead of across."

Thorne ignored her, sliding his hand into her hair and pulling her tighter against him. Cress rested one of her hands on his chest. Their kiss was cut short as Thorne spotted their waitress making her way towards them.

Heat climbed to Cress's cheeks when they broke away, which Thorne found highly amusing. He flashed the waitress a grin as she set their plates down.

Cress smacked him when she walked away but she was laughing.

"What was that for?"

"Getting me all flustered!" She grinned, wiping her mouth with the back of her hand and reaching for her coffee.

"You're cute when you're flustered, though." Thorne smirked, tucking a strand of hair behind her ear.

Cress shook her head, turning to her plate of waffles.

Thorne couldn't wipe the smile from his face as they enjoyed their breakfast. Cress mentioned a few smaller wedding details—colors, theme, flowers—all the while the idea Thorne had beginning to grow and develop. He didn't say anything to her right away... he wanted to try and surprise her, which he realized was going to be difficult if not impossible.

He might need to ask for Cinder's help.