Chapter Twenty Two

"You guys have a gym?" Thorne's eyebrows shot up as Jacin shoved open the door to what used to be a garage but had been transformed into a full scale gym.

The girls still hadn't returned yet and without their chatter, the house was as silent as a tome. Thorne didn't remember what exactly brought up working out, but Jacin had then volunteered there was a gym down in the basement/garage.

"Yep."

Thorne started down the stairs, impressed. Jacin gave them a quick tour before waving a hand towards the equipment and inviting them to workout. He then turned and disappeared back in the house—probably to sharpen his knife again.

Thorne and Wolf wordlessly launched into their own workout sessions.

"I gotta see about getting one of these for the Rampion." Thorne grunted, re-racking the bench press. He missed working out. One of the few good things about the prison in New Beijing was the gym.

Aces, had it been that long since he'd actually worked out?!

"Do you care if I put music on?"

Wolf shook his head.

"Computer, play music," Thorne said as he pulled his shirt over his head and tossed it onto the rack beside the pull-up bar. Much to his annoyance, he found that he began to tire out much faster than Wolf who seamed to have no end of energy as he moved from machine to machine.

"Can I ask you something?" Wolf asked in between pushups.

Thorne dropped down from the pull-up bar, raking his hair away from his face. "Yeah, sure."

"Are your parents still... alive?"

Thorne blinked, surprised at the question. "Oh. As far as I know. I... aces, I haven't talked to them in years."

Wolf nodded, standing up and moving to the bench press.

Thorne started on another round of pull-ups. He hadn't thought of his parents in a long time. He doubted they thought of him and wondered if his name or face had come up at all in America since the revolution. They must have known he was arrested; that was all over the place.

"Why do you ask?"

Wolf shrugged. "Just wondering who of the Rampion Crew still has parents."

Thorne lightly frowned. "As far as I know, I do. Pretty sure Jacin does... Cress has her mother, unless she died or something."

Wolf shrugged again.

Lightly shaking his head, he dropped to the ground and jogged up the stairs to the kitchen for some water.

After a solid workout and he was thoroughly drenched, Thorne jogged up the stairs and took a quick shower. He ran his hands through his hair, arranging it just so before pulling a shirt over his head and meandering back out to the living room.

He dropped onto one of the plush chairs, draping one of his legs over the arm, and reached for a handful of crackers and cheese sitting on a platter. Evidently Wolf had been working in the kitchen while he was in the shower.

"Well we're a fun group, aren't we?" Thorne mumbled between bites. He glanced at the netscreen, displaying an old sitcom. "Ugh, I've seen this one."

"You've probably seen all of them. At this point they're just reruns," Jacin murmured without looking up.

"Then what do you and Winter do when you come up here?"

"Work. Meet with people."

"Sounds exhausting."