Chapter Thirteen

Cress stood in front of the floor length mirror, turning and letting the light hit the bejeweled crystals that were sewn into the skirt of her dress. It was way to long, but the saleswoman assured her it would be no problem to hem. Made of peach chiffon with a sheer overlay imbedded with thousands of tiny jewels, a snug bodice with a lace-up corset in the back accentuated her tiny waist, making her look curvier than she was. It was held up by two thin straps, which she didn't think she'd like, but the way it fit completely changed her mind. Her pale blonde hair just grazed her collar bone.

The figure looking back at her in the mirror was a princess. She looked... beautiful. Like a rescued damsel in distress—right out of a romance drama. A grin crept onto her face, one she couldn't fight no matter how hard she tried.

"Well?" Iko asked. "There are still five others you haven't even looked at yet."

"I... I like this one."

"Are you sure you don't want to at least see them?"

Cress nodded. "I'm sure."

"Okay. Then let's talk shoes. I know you have an aversion to heels, but at least try these on, okay?" she asked, abandoning the rest of the dresses she had in her arms and stooping to pick up one of about fifty shoe boxes. Inside was a pair of silver pumps, several inches high with straps going across the ankles and toes.

Sinking down into a cloud of peach silk, Cress fished her feet free and slid on the shoes. Iko helped her stand up and she attempted a few steps. The height wasn't a problem, but the heel itself was way to narrow and she kept wobbling every time she took a step.

Only after going through 23 other pairs did she find ones that Iko approved of and were comfortable to walk in. Leaving the dress with the saleswoman, who said it would be hemmed and ready first thing in the morning, Iko and Cress started back towards the palace.

"So where's your favorite place you've been so far?" Iko asked, her blue hair—curled at the moment—sweeping over her shoulders.

Cress frowned thoughtfully. "Australia."

"Why?"

"It was so warm and the beach was beautiful. I knew the ocean was blue but... it was just amazing. And warm!"

"Oh you're so lucky."

Cress beamed. "How are things on Luna?" She asked, feeling a pulse of pride that Iko was envious of her.

"Fine. A lot of the wolf-soldiers have gone rogue, so we're trying to round them up but it's been hard."

"Oh." Cress thought of Wolf, who was so gentle and quiet because of what had been done to him. She wished the others on Luna would have the same chance that he did and that'd be able to try and have a normal life.

The sky had started to turn dark by the time they returned. While she had enjoyed shopping with Iko, Cress was glad to be back at the palace and secretly hoping she'd get to take a look around.

"Cinder said everyone's in the library," Iko said. "Here, I'll take your stuff back to your room and meet you there. It's just down the hallway," she added, pointing to the corridor straight ahead.

Cress nodded, continuing forwards. Her pace slowed as she took in her surroundings and was able to better admire the beauty of Kai's palace.

"Who're you looking for, Shortcake?"

Cress jumped, turning to see Jacin walking up behind her. "The library. Iko said everyone's there."

Jacin cocked his head. "Come on."

Cress followed him down the remainder of the hallway, turning left when it ended. Her eyes drifted down to the carpet and how vibrantly red it was. It looked soft enough to sleep on, and she wondered if Kai would think her rude if she took her shoes off.