Chapter Eighty

Cress managed to get a spot in all five of the classes she wanted—English, history, geography, health studies, and a communication class. She got a head start and ordered all her textbooks, actually squealing when they came in the mail a week later. Carswell was on a video call with Kai and Cinder, but the moment he hung up she bombarded him.

"Look how beautiful they are! Aces—oh, and this one had a worksheet that I get to do as part of my homework and then this one smells so good! I don't think I've ever had a book that smells this new. Here, smell it."

Carswell almost laughed, though he sniffed at the books spine. "Mm. I don't really know what to say—yummy? Delicious?"

Cress laughed. "I don't either." She grinned, taking the book back and hugging it against herself. "How's Cinder and Kai?"

"Oh good. There's been some rogue soldier attacks in the Commonwealth."

Cress blinked. "What?"

"Kai's dispatching some military personal."

"What does that have to do with you?" Cress asked warily.

Carswell hesitated. "Cinder thinks they might be receiving orders from an underground organization back on Luna and she's going back to try and do what she can to quell them. She wants me to go with her."

Cress waited for him to continue, hoping against hope he told Cinder he couldn't go.

"I told her I wanted to talk to you about it." He added, walking around the kitchen counter and grabbing a fresh-from-the-oven cookie. "It wouldn't take long—hopefully 3 weeks, max."

Cress chewed her lip. "Am I going?"

"You certainly can—I'd love for you to—but what about school?"

"If it only takes 3 weeks we'll be home before it starts."

"I thought it started on the 5th."

Cress shook her head. "The 13th."

"Really?"

Cress nodded, a giddy smile tugging at her lips. She reached for her port, double checking. "Yeah, see? And I already have all my books so I don't need to do any more serious prep."

Carswell grin but Cress could tell he was trying not to. "Yeah? You wanna go?"

Cress nodded, clasping her hands together and stretching up on her tip toes.

"Alright, come on, let's get the Rampion ready." Carswell laughed, grabbing her hand and starting towards the front door.

Cress was grinning so big it hurt.

"I didn't think you'd be this excited to go to Luna."

"It's not going to Luna, its taking another trip with you on the Rampion!"

Carswell laughed, squeezing her against him and kissing the side of her head. The elevator let them out and Carswell started out towards the apartments garage where the Rampion was parked.

"I've missed you." Cress said dramatically, hugging one of the support legs.

"Come on." Carswell rolled his eyes, pulling her up the ramp and starting towards the cockpit.

Cress walked slower, checking and making sure everything was properly stashed away. She made a few mental notes, reminding herself to grab a few extra blankets for their room and stock up on food for the galley.

"How's everything in there?" Cress asked, jogging up the stairs towards the cockpit.

"Good. Just finishing up a system check."

"We need some stuff for the galley, should I move stuff from the apartment?"

"Yeah, otherwise it'll go bad while we're away. May as well eat it."

Cress nodded. She started back inside and managed to get all the food from the kitchen in their apartment down into the Rampion in only two trips. By that time, Carswell had finished checking the ship's system and engines.

"Everything looks good and the Rampion is ready for another trip to Luna." He announced as Cress had finished stashing all the food.

"Good, but we're low on protein packets." She replied.

"I think we'll be fine." Carswell said, shoving his hands in his pockets. "We'll be back at the palace so they'll have food."

"We're going to be in the palace? Trying to track down rogue soldiers?"

"Good point. Let's get a list going of anything else. Protein packets—what else?"

"Um, nothing that I noticed."

"Alright. Well we don't leave until day after tomorrow so if you think of something let me know and I'll write it down. We can make a pit stop tomorrow night."

Cress nodded. She hugged him, smiling to herself when he hugged her back.

"What's that for?"

"Nothing. I just love you, that's all."

Carswell's smile warmed and he ducked his head to kiss her. "I love you too, Damsel. Now come on, let's take a look at those school books you got and see about moving some stuff so you can have your own bookshelf."

Cress's eyes widened. "I don't need my own bookshelf. I only have 5 or 6 books."

"Your collection will probably grow over time and it might be nice to have one place to keep everything instead of all over the place."

Cress nodded, taking his hand as they started inside. "I thought for sure the next three weeks would take forever."

"Cause you're excited about school?"

Cress nodded. "Yeah, but now it'll go by so fast."

"I'm sorry if this kind of stampeded on your school excitement."

"Nah. I'll still be excited about school when all this is over. Aces, unless it takes longer than 3 weeks."

"If it does, we'll figure it out and make sure you're home in time."

Cress nodded, though worry tugged at the back of her mind. She didn't want to cause a problem by needing to be taken back home. Well, she reasoned, worst case scenario she could probably find a public ship and just take that. It wouldn't be as nice, but at least it wouldn't cause any issue.

While Carswell rearranged a few of their knickknacks on one of the bookshelves, Cress grabbed the box of her books and dragged it into the living room beside the shelf.

"This should be enough space for now; I'll move those atlas's later." Carswell said.

Cress nodded. She grinned, setting her books up. "It's plenty of space. Thanks!" 

Carswell nudged her side and Cress squirmed. "I won't tickle you. Come sit." He added, snaking an arm around her waist and sinking back onto the couch.

Cress smiled to herself, settling back against his chest. She closed her eyes, taking in a deep breath and letting it out.