Chapter Ninety

Cress's hands were shaking so hard she couldn't even braid her hair. She gave up 5 minutes in, deciding to just wear it down. Smoothing her hands down the front of her chunky blue knit sweater, she grabbed her shoulder bag from the side of her vanity and started down the stairs.

Carswell was just finishing a bowl of cereal. He glanced up and smiled. "You look cute."

"Thanks."

"Hungry?"

Cress shook her head.

"Nervous."

She nodded.

"Don't be, it'll be great."

"Yeah." Cress chewed her lip.

Carswell stood up, moving only slightly slower than he normally did as he set his dishes in the dishwasher and flung the cereal box back on the counter.

"You sure you're up for coming?" Cress asked as she tugged a hat over her head.

Carswell nodded. "Yup. They hardly hurt anymore. And then afterwards we're going to lunch."

Cress's face brightened. "Really?"

"Something tells me you're gonna be starving."

Cress laughed. "I hope so."

Carswell limped around the island and grabbed his leather jacket before taking her hand and starting into the corridor.

The hover ride to campus wasn't far, giving Cress almost 10 extra minutes before her first class was supposed to start. Carswell found the building she needed, which was fortunately a short walk, and he sat with her outside in the hallway until the professor unlocked the classroom door.

"I'll go to the library or something and hang out and be back here in an hour and a half." Carswell said, ducking to kiss her.

Cress nodded. "Thanks." She started inside, casting another glance at Carswell over her shoulder and relaxing into a smile when he winked.

The classroom wasn't overly big but even still Cress took a seat in the back. No one took the seat beside her so she set her back on it and set her textbook and tablet on the desk in front of her.

The professor introduced himself and then started going over the material for the semester.

Cress paid strict attention and jotted down all the important due dates and extra credit opportunities. Half way through the class time, the professor gave everyone a ten minute break so Cress ran to the restroom and then sent Carswell a quick comm to let him know that so far it was just orientation stuff.

The rest of class sped by with just more information. The professor sent a few notes to each students tablet for reference and then dismissed everyone.

Carswell was leaning against the opposite wall when Cress shoved through the door. He broke into a grin and Cress hurried to give him a careful hug.

"See? I told you it wouldn't be to bad." Carswell laughed, kissing the top of her head. "Come on, you've got 15 minutes until your next one." He added, slinging his arm around her shoulders.

Cress nodded, relieved that her next class was also orientation and flew by way to fast. Now that the initial worry was over, she was sad the morning was passing so quickly. Though she was looking forward to a lunch date with Carswell.

"You were right—I'm starving." She giggled as they stood on the sidewalk to wait for their hover.

"I figured. Cheeseburger sound good?"