Chapter Seventy-Five

Cress eagerly got dressed, putting in a little extra effort and braiding the top of her hair back and even putting on some mascara. She hoped no one would think her strange for getting "dressed up" for just another lazy day, but it was fun and she hadn't done it in a while.

"Hey, what are you getting all dressed up for?" Carswell asked as he walked into their room, his hair wet and a towel wrapped tightly around his shoulders. Somehow—Cress still had no idea how—Wolf talked Carswell, Jacin, and Kai into going for an early morning swim in the ocean.

Cress shrugged. "Just felt like it."

"You look nice and cozy."

"You look cold."

"I am." He shuddered. "That ocean is freezing during the day, it's even worse first thing."

"But don't you feel nice and refreshed?"

"No. I'm cold and hungry and wet."

Cress laughed. She went over to hug him, shivering. "Ooh, you are cold."

"I'm gonna get you all wet."

"That's okay, I'm mostly dry." Cress murmured, running her hands quickly up and down the towel around his back.

Carswell gave her a quick hug before releasing her.

"Get dressed and dry off, I'll go see about some breakfast."

"You're such a good wife."

"I know."

Carswell smirked. He ducked his head to kiss her.

"Ooh, you're all salty." Cress laughed.

Carswell winked and Cress started towards the door and skipped down the stairs and into the kitchen. There was still some left-over breakfast from yesterday that she quickly reheated, munching on bites here and there as she did so.

"Ooh, I wanna make muffins." She murmured to herself, spotting a bag of chocolate chips in the counter. She pulled them out and set them down, gathering together the ingredients. Over the past few weeks, Scarlet had been letting Cress shadow her in the kitchen whenever she baked anything. The chocolate muffins were so far Cress's favorite and she wanted to make some more.

"Aces and spades what smells so good?"

Cress grinned as Carswell walked in. "I got side tracked and started making those chocolate muffins Scarlet showed me."

"Ooh, nice."

Cress set her mixing spoon down so she could give him a proper good-morning kiss.

"Can I do anything to help?"

"No, I'm almost finished. I started heating up some breakfast, it's over on the stove if you want it."

Carswell walked around behind his, his hand resting on the dip in her waist as he did so.

Cress involuntarily squirmed. "Don't—"

"I'll tickle you if I want." Carswell said as she grabbed a plate from the cabinet.

Cress made a face, glaring at him over her shoulder. "I'm making you muffins."

"No, you're making you muffins. You're my muffin."

Cress laughed. "Ewwww."

Carswell smirked. He reached for her hand and pulled her towards him. "C'mere."

Cress nervously smiled, flutters filling her stomach. She stretched up to kiss him, resting her hand on his chest. She should have seen it coming, yet Carswell still managed to take her by surprise when he started tickling her. Cress's legs gave out from beneath her.

Carswell laughed harder, pinning her between his ankles and stooping to continue tickling.

"Wolf!" Cress shrieked.

Panic flashed in Carswell's eyes and he dropped to his knees, slamming his hand over her mouth. "That's playing dirty."

Cress made a face. "Says you." She said, her words muffled by his hand.

"Hey, I—" Carswell stopped as Wolf darted into the kitchen.

"Wolf!" Cress cried again.

Carswell pulled her up, holding her in front of him by her arms. "We're good, Wolf, nothing to see here."

"He tickled me." Cress said. "After I told him not to."

Wolf raised his eyebrows. "Let her go, Thorne."

"Yeah, let me go Thorne."

"You shush—hey, don't come any closer or she's history."

Wolf paused, holding his hands up.

"Now what?" Cress asked. "My arms hurt."

"Yeah, well you should have thought of that before you called in the cavalry."

"The what?"

"Wolf."

"Oh."

Wolf spread his hands out. "So, what'll it take for you to let her go?"

Carswell was silent and Cress couldn't see his face.

"I've got an entire unopened box of Oreos." Wolf said.

"Double stuff or regular?"

"Double stuff."

"Family size or party?"

"Party."

"Take the deal." Cress whispered. "Those are my favorites."

"Alright. Show me them."

"They're in the cabinet behind you."

Carswell took a step back, taking Cress with him, and releasing one of her arms so he could open the cabinet. Cress heard crinkling and a moment later a massive box of double stuff Oreos was set on the counter.

"Alright, we have a deal." Carswell released her arms, giving her a quick kiss on her temple.

Cress rolled her shoulders, giving Wolf a hug. "I'll get you more Oreos." She whispered.

Wolf smirked. "How about you make a double batch of those muffins and we'll call it even."

Cress laughed. "Okay."

As soon as Wolf left again, Carswell walked around the other side of the island with the box of Oreo's in his hand.

"We should come up with a system."

"For what?"

"Getting all the good snacks from Wolf. You know, like I could pretend to tickle you, you call for him, and we do kinda what we just did."

"Or we could buy or own snacks."

Carswell shrugged. "Not as much fun, but whatever."

I'm SOOO sorry I've been uploading only once a week lately, I've been working on some of my original projects that I'll *hopefully* be uploading in a few weeks! :D :D :D