Chapter Twenty Four

"Dinner's... gonna get... cold," Cress said in between kisses. Despite her half-hearted protest, she couldn't help wrapping her arms around him in a hug.

"If only we had a way to reheat it." He smirked, turning his head to kiss her neck. He shifted his arms around her.

Cress giggled, playing with the fabric of his shirt. One of her hands moved to touch his cheek as he kissed her again. "Are you still scared of me?"

"Cress, I will be scared of you for the rest of my life," he whispered, trailing his thumb over her ear. Her eyes were so pretty, especially so up close.

She smiled, but he could tell she was trying to hide it.

He kissed the end of her nose. "Dinner?"

Cress nodded, holding on to him as he stood up. Dinner wasn't entirely cold so they didn't bother reheating it. Thorne turned the netscreen on instead and they caught up on some news that was happening in America.

"I can't wait to go to LA," Cress said as she spooned up some soup. "Mm, this is good."

"I think you'll like it. And we can go to Malibu while we're there."

"Yes!" Cress tucked her legs beneath her and leaned against him.

"Don't get anything on my jacket—oops."

Cress giggled as he dove for a napkin and quickly mopped up the bit of soup that ended up on his sleeve.

After dinner, they both stayed on the sofa and talked for several hours until Wolf and Scarlet came back.

"How was dinner?" Thorne asked, leaning his head back on the sofa to look at them as they walked in.

"Delicious. I've never been to New York before, it's a little crazy," Scarlet said, sinking down on the opposite chair. Wolf sank down on the ground in front of her and she started playing with his hair.

"This is only the second time I've been, and I was a kid when we came the first time," Thorne added, stifling a yawn. He glanced at his watch, surprised it was almost one in the morning.

"Summer vacation?"

Thorne scoffed. "No. Some distant cousin got married or something, I don't remember."

Cress adjusted her head on his shoulder.

"Is she asleep?"he asked, lowering his voice.

Scarlet nodded, chuckling. "Little kids are so cute, aren't they?"

Thorne scowled at her. "You're only two years older."

"Yeah, but like six inches taller."

"Don't tease her."

"I'm not. I'm teasing you."

"How is that teasing me?"

"Look how defensive you got."

"Just... go to bed. You're grounded."

Scarlet laughed, but made no move to get up. "I think I'll sleep right here, actually," she said, slouching back and closing her eyes. "Mm, very comfortable."

"Fine, you stay here." Thorne shifted his arm around Cress, scooping her up as he stood. He smiled smugly. "Look at how perfectly she fits."

Scarlet scoffed. "Wolf can hold me just fine."

"Yeah, but the height ratio between you two is less so it's not as perfect a fit."

"I beg to differ." Scarlet stood up, waving for Wolf to do the same. He did and, guessing what she wanted, picked her up. "See?"

"Mm, not the same."

"Yes it is!"

"Your legs are longer so you dangle more."

"I'm not dangling."

"Look at how far your feet are sticking out! See Cress's? Barely stick out."

"You didn't say anything about who sticks out the least. You said she fits better because she's small. Besides, Wolf's taller than you."

"Only a little."

Scarlet rolled her eyes and Wolf kissed the side of her head. She wrapped her arms around his neck and leaned on his chest, smiling triumphantly.

"Ugh, you're making me sick." Thorne turned away, starting down the corridor towards his room.

"You don't think I'm to short?" Cress mumbled after he had set her down on the bed and slipped in beside her. Her eyes didn't even open as she moved closer to him.

"Nope."