Chapter Thirty Six

Cress leaned her head on Thorne's shoulder when he sat down beside her. Iko was on his other side but she was sitting up and leaning forward so as not to miss anything.

Kai's said a few words about what this wedding meant, both from the world's perspective as the first lunar-earthen wedding and for Scarlet and Wolf and the obstacles they overcame. He rambled on about what alpha meant—again, for normal people and for Wolf and Scarlet. One part caught Thorne's attention. When Kai spoke about finding someone who complimented and taught and made their partner stronger.

"Who makes us want to be out best possible self."

Thorne couldn't help comparing those ideas to him and Cress. How Cress made him want to be stronger, both as an individual and for her. He hadn't ever thought he'd find one girl he wanted to spend the rest of his life with, much less one who made him want to be a better man. Cress certainly fit that description and he tried to pinpoint the moment his perspective shifted. He wanted to think it was the moment he saw her across the netscreen—love at first sight—but he knew it wasn't that simple.

He had fallen in love with her during their trek through the desert, when she had braved an endless stretch of heat and nothingness, when she would fall asleep curled up against him, when she had been sick for two days and finally the caravaners told him she was okay and awake and walking, when she had been kidnapped and he thought he might never see her again.

When he had been too afraid to confess he liked her and wanted to kiss her so he masked it behind a heroic desire to give her a kiss before she died, when he had had gotten his eyesight back and seen how beautiful she was, when she almost dropped the can of peaches, when she darted across the landing pad on Luna, dodging bullets to help them escape, when he had finally dared to openly kiss her in the green room with no hesitation.

The moments continued until he had simply relived all of their moments together since they met. He was vaguely aware of Scarlet and Wolf repeating their vows before they kissed.

Everyone jumped up, cheering.

Thorne joined right in, a new level of excitement flooding his mind. "I'll get the champagne." He laughed, heading for the kitchen and returning with an armful of glasses and a couple different bottles of champagne.

Cress took a few loose glasses before they shattered to the ground and passed them out.

Wolf and Scarlet finally broke away from each other, both grinning from ear to ear.

The background wedding march smoothly transitioned into a celebratory song that forced everyone to speak louder. It wasn't long before laugher was rippling through the room.

"Alright, alright, gather round. Thorne, where are those glasses?" Kai shouted over the music.

Cress lowered the volume as Thorne started passing full glasses of champagne around. Cress stuffed her port in her dress pocket. She reached for a class of champagne but Thorne pulled it away.

"Whoa, sorry Damsel, no underage drinking at this party."

Cress's eyes rounded. "No, no, no, the legal drinking age in Europe is 16. So I'm two years ahead."

"Are you sure?" Thorne narrowed his eyes.

She nodded eagerly.

"Fine."

Cress proudly took a glass, standing next to Thorne in their circle of friends. She slid her arm around his waist as Kai loudly cleared his throat.

"Ladies and gentlemen, this is a most prestigious occasion." Kai's arm slid around Cinder. "We are the only 10 people in the entire world who have been privy to this wedding and for the moment we are also the only 10 people who know it even happened."

Iko gave a "woo-hoo" that elicited a round of laughter.

"To Mr. and Mrs. Kesley!" Kai held his glass in the air.

"To Mr. and Mrs. Kesley!" everyone else repeated.

Thorne downed his champagne. "Not as good as whiskey, but a close second."

Cress laughed, adjusting the music so it was louder. Iko grabbed Thorne's arm and pulled him into the make-shift dance floor.

The next few hours were a blur as everyone alternated between dancing and eating and talking. Iko danced with everyone and Cinder even joined in, though she mainly danced with Kai. Thorne weaseled his way in for a few, more to annoy her than anything.

Just as the sky started to darken, the music slowed. Thorne glanced around looking for Cress and spotted her at the desert table talking with Emilie. He wove his way through the living room. She glanced in his direction and grinned.

"Come on, dance with me," Thorne said, reaching for Cress's hand.

She gladly abandoned the plate and laced her hand through hers as they joined Wolf and Scarlet and Winter and Jacin. Thorne snaked his arms around her, pulling her tight against him. She leaned her head on his chest as they slowly swayed, not really dancing but content to be close to each other.

Thorne lightly frowned when he saw Cinder and Kai silently slip outside. He tried to crane his neck to follow them through the window, but they had walked out of sight.

"What?" Cress lifted her head to look at him.

"Nothing." Thorne smiled, leaning his cheek against the top of her head as they continued swaying.

Immediately following the song, another came on that was significantly faster. Thorne groaned, laughing. He nudged Cress before sinking down on the sofa and kicking his boots off. He watched her and Iko and Winter dance around, alternating partners and who was leading.

Thorne eventually stretched out along the sofa, his eye lids growing heavy. He was vaguely aware of the pulsing music and Cress's laughter, the clanking and clattering of dishes, something soft brushing against his chin.

He blinked his eyes open, squinting against the sudden brightness. He craned his head to look out the window, surprised to find the sun well above the trees.

Cress was curled up in front of him, still wearing her dress from last night, and his arm was draped over her waist. Kai and Cinder were both asleep on one of the plush chairs, one of Kai's legs draped over the arm. Emilie was knocked out on the love seat with a blanket wrapped tightly around her shoulder. Winter and Jacin and Scarlet and Wolf must have gone upstairs.

Thorne lifted his head. Iko was in the kitchen.

"Alright everybody up!"

A consensual round of groans and low cries of surprise went around the room as everyone was startled awake. Emilie almost fell off the sofa, her blonde curls tangled. A door slammed upstairs. Cress reached for Thorne's hand and planted it over her ear.

"Iko." Cinder groaned.

"You have all slept long enough."

"What are you, the sleeping police now?" Cinder mumbled, readjusting herself against Kai and closing her eyes again.

"It's almost 11:30. Lunch is ready."

"Not hungry," Cinder, Kai, and Emilie all mumbled.

"No? I've got monte cristo's fresh out of the deep fryer."

Thorne lifted his head. "Hm?"

"Scarlet has a deep fryer?" Emilie asked. She pushed herself up, straightening her sweater and running a hand through her hair.

"What are monte cristo's?" Cress asked as Thorne sat up.

"They're ham and cheese sandwiches that are breaded and deep fried."

Cress started to say something else but she laughed instead.

"What?"

"Your hair's a mess." She smirked, running her fingers through the top of his hair in an effort to tame it.

"What would I do without you?" Thorne ducked his head and kissed her.

Cress giggled. She pushed herself up, smoothing out the wrinkles in her dress as she started towards the kitchen.