Chapter Seventy-Two

Cress blinked her eyes open. The sky outside was just beginning to lighten and she grinned to herself. Rolling over, she excitedly hugged Carswell from behind. His back expanded in an inhale and he turned over, wrapping an arm around her.

"Hey, Damsel."

"Happy birthday!" Cress whispered excitedly.

"Thank you." Carswell kissed her forehead, blinking his eyes open. "So what's on the agenda for today?"

"Well," Cress pushed herself up on her elbow, chills shooting down his spine when his hand moved the collar of her shirt aside and grazed her bare shoulder. "we'll have lunch with the rest of the gang, if that's okay—"

"Of course."

"—and then I thought maybe we could go to the carnival on the peer after lunch until dinner and maybe watch the sun set afterwards."

"Sounds perfect."

"Really?" Cress asked, worried it was to boring of a plan. Especially for a birthday. "Cause we can do something else if you'd rather, like I said I'd never really... planned something for someone before and—"

"Aces, of course, it sounds amazing."

Cress relaxed into a grin. "Okay, cool."

Carswell winked, leaning over and kissing her shoulder. "Is there time during the day for an old fashioned make-out session?"

Cress flushed, wishing she'd said that before he asked. She nodded. "Of course." Leaning into him, she lightly kissed his lips. "I know what you like."

"Oh good. 'Cause it's been six whole hours since you've given me one of those 30-univ kisses."

Cress snaked her arms around his neck, pulling herself against him. "One quick kiss now, and then I have to go."

Carswell lightly frowned. "Where are you going?"

"It's a surprise."

"And how much time do I have with you?"

"How about... 20 minutes."

"Aces, that's hardly any time." Carswell groaned, threading his hands through her hair and pulled her head down in a kiss.

Cress melted. Every... single... time. At the end of her 20 minute designation, she was tempted to extend it.

"Times up, Damsel." Carswell whispered against her lips. He must have shifted at some point as he was now pressed more on top of her and one of her legs ended up wrapped around him.

Cress groaned. "Don't leave, okay?"

"I was gonna say that to you."

"I'll just be a half hour."

"So I have time to take a shower?"

"Yeah, but you have to get back in bed."

Carswell grinned. "I like where this is headed."

"No, not cause—I'm making you breakfast in bed."

"Ah. Alright, I'll take a quick shower and get back in bed." Carswell promised, kissing her again before sliding away from her.

Cress slipped from the blankets, grabbing her sweats from the dresser drawer and getting dressed. She crept down the hall and into the kitchen. She'd asked Winter last night if she could have it for an hour or so.

Being mindful to still be quiet since everyone else wasn't awake yet, Cress assembled her menu of cinnamon rolls, sausage links, poached eggs, and coffee. She'd done a lot of the prep last night so it was only a half hour or so before she finished.