Chapter Fourteen

Thorne lightly kissed Cress's face, warm and soft and creased with sheet marks. Her hair was knotted on the top of her head and tickling his chin. "Cress?" He almost felt bad for waking her up after how long it took her to finally get to sleep. He had fallen asleep right away, waking only when she would turn on her other side and then snuggle back up against him. He didn't mind. She was excited. And it sent a pulse of satisfaction through his mind knowing he was at least partially responsible for it. Even in the ball turned out to be boring, her reaction and knowing how excited and happy she was would make it all worth it.

Cress blinked her eyes open, filling her lungs with air and then deeply groaning. She lightly arched her back in a stretch.

"Hungry?" he asked, leaving a trail of soft kisses on her cheek and nose. 

Cress smiled, nodding. 

"Come on, let's get something to eat. I bet the breakfasts are amazing."

As if on cue, Cress's stomach growled and she giggled. "Should I get dressed?" She asked, standing up and tugging at the loose-fitting sweatpants.

"Nah," he murmured, kissing her forehead.

"I'm in love with you, Carswell," she murmured, lifting her head and looking him with those sky blue eyes of hers.

He smiled. "I'm in love with you too." He squeezed her once more and released her. "Come on, I'm hungry."

Cress grinned his favorite smile and together they walked through the maze of corridors back to the dinning room. Cinder, Iko, and Kai were already there but it was only another ten minutes before Scarlet and Wolf, and Jacin and Winter walked in.

Thorne watched Cress confidently walk up to the buffet and fill her plate. Iko was sitting on the sofa with her legs folded beneath her, scowling at Cinder who was eating in an overly-taunting way.

"You're hilarious." Iko rolled her eyes. Glancing up at Cress, she brightened. "Cress come here, I want to try something with your hair."

Cress nodded, nibbling on a sweet roll and sitting on the ground in front of Iko.

"Next time we all get together, I vote we go to LA," Thorne said as he sank onto one of the plush chairs. "I miss the sun and palm trees."

"What makes you think we want to get together with you again?" Cinder deadpanned.

"Who forgot to oil your hydraulics?" Thorne rolled his eyes.

Cress smirked. Without moving her head, her eyes darted back towards Iko. "What are you doing?"

"A braid. But it's different. A 'cage' braid or something. Cinder's hair is to thin."

"Thanks," Cinder deadpanned.

*         *         *

Cress took a deep breath in and out, looking out the window to the palace walkway below. Thousands of people were making their way inside and even from way up here she could see the elegantly dressed woman and smartly clad men. She chewed her lip, fingering with the hemline of her dress.

Someone knocked on her door and she turned around to see Winter peak her head inside.

"Winter?" she asked, a little surprised.

Winter walked in, already dressed and ready for the ball. The glorious sapphire blue dress perfectly complimented her deep skin and the glittering tiara on her head was made of paler blue butterflies.

"I have something for you."

Cress bit her lip and grinned as Winter held up a square box made of polished wood. Lifting the lid, Cress gasped when she saw a sparkling silver tiara nestled in a black velvet pillow. Delicate stars and moons were carefully hidden in the jewels.