Chapter Ninety Two

Thorne glanced at Cress out of the corner of his eye. She'd been hunched over her textbooks for almost 2 straight hours, writing furiously on her tablet beside her every so often. He was mindful to leave her alone and not disrupt her, but around lunch he slid a plate of food in front of her and insisted she take a break to eat.

"Thanks." She sighed, smiling tiredly up at him as she leaned back in her chair.

"You're so cute being all studious." Thorne said, stooping to kiss the side of her face.

"First homework assignment is due on Thursday, I want to get an A." Cress said around a bite of chicken.

"I'm sure you will."

Cress smiled gratefully. She jerked her chin. "How's the studio coming?"

Thorne laughed. "There's not much to do unless I want to totally change the cockpit--which I don't."

Cress shook her head in agreement. "No. Besides, that'll change the integrity of the podcast."

Thorne laughed.

"It will! People will be picturing you sitting in the Rampion cockpit and if they realize it's all different it'll change everything."

"Good point." Thorne added, managing to conceal a smile and just loving how passionate Cress was over his latest endeavor.

"Thanks for lunch." Cress said as she set the plate down on the counter and then took her place again at her desk.

"You got it. Okay, I'll leave you alone so you can finish."

Cress grinned. "I won't be to much longer."

"You wanna go to dinner? Have an actual date?"

"Ooh, sure!"

Thorne loaded the dishwasher before starting back outside towards the Rampion. As he was jogging down the steps, his port vibrated in his pocket. He pulled it out and, seeing the name flashing up at him, froze.

"Hey mom." He said, trying not to sound so stiff.

There was a pause on the other end. "Sweetheart. My assistant said you left me a message." She said, her voice just as soft and warm as it always was.

"Yeah, I just wanted to check up and you and dad and see how you guys were doing."

Another pause. "We're fine. Why?"

Thorne shrugged one shoulder. "Just checking. It's been a while since I've heard from either of you." He managed to get out. Aces he sounded ridiculous.

"Well that was... nice. But we're both fine."

"Okay. Well... good." Thorne started down the corridor again, moving a little slower. It was still raining outside and he didn't want his mom to hear, though he wasn't really sure why.

"Where are you staying these days?" She asked after a few seconds of uncomfortable silence.

"The Republic. Up north." He said, not quite sure he wanted his parents to know exactly where he was.

"Ah. Sounds cold."

"It is." Thorne paused just before leaving the lobby. He waited a few seconds and when his mother was silent again he continued, "Anyway, I'll let you go. Just wanted to say hi."

"Alright, sweetheart, you take care."

"You to." Thorne added with half an eye roll as he hung up. Shoving his port in his pocket and starting outside, the awkward conversation with his mother left his thoughts as he jumped into the Rampion's cockpit. For the most part it was exactly the same, though not it was much cleaner. The metal pieces were free of grease and grim that had accumulated over the years, he'd given both his and Cress's leather chairs a good polish, and the control panel lights shone a little brighter.

Of course, he realized even before he started, appearance didn't really matter because it was a podcast--not a video stream. But still, having a picture perfect environment would only add to the enthusiasm for him which would then hopefully re-translate to his listeners.

* * *

Cress rubbed her temples, a headache starting to form. Shoving her textbook away from her and deciding she'd had enough for the day, she crossed the room to the sofa and collapsed on it face first. She thought for sure she'd fall asleep but much to her dismay her brain was still seeing her textbook and she couldn't shut her mind off.

"You finished for the night?" Carswell's voice asked.

Cress grinned, perking up and pushing herself to her knees. "Yep. I think I've fried my brain as much as I can in one day."

Carswell laughed. "Nice. Start thinking about what you want for dinner."

"Food."

"Thanks, that really helps."

Cress giggled. "Honestly anything sounds good."

"Alright, I'll surprise you. Be ready in an hour."

Cress nodded. She hurried up the stairs and took a quick shower, then changed into a pair of dark jeans, a burnt orange button up jacket/shirt thing, and her leather boots. She shook as much water out of her hair as she could and then scunched it until it dried in gentle waves.

"Ready?"

Cress eagerly nodded, reaching for her bag hanging on the hook by the door. "Where are we going?"

"That new place down the street we've passed before. The Junkyard?"

Cress grinned. "Ooh cool. Wonder why it's called the Junkyard?"

Carswell shrugged, tugging on his leather jacket as they stepped outside. "Maybe they use like recycled dishes and stuff."

"As long as it's not recycled food, I'm good."

Carswell laughed. "That makes two of us. Here, gimme that." He said, reaching for the umbrella in Cress's hand.

"I want to hold it."

"My head always bumps it when you told it."

Cress scowled, halfheartedly trying to pull the umbrella away but to no avail. Carswell easily swiped it out of her hands and popped it open. He slung an arm across Cress's shoulders before and rubbed her arm up and down.

"My mom called me today." Carswell said.

Cress blinked. "What?"

"Well, I she called me back. I called her a few days ago."

"Why?"

He shrugged one shoulder. "Just to say hi. I thought I'd start small."

Cress grinned. "That was sweet! I bet she appreciated it."

"It was hard to tell."

Cress hugged his arm. "I'm proud of you."

"Aw shucks." Carswell deadpanned with a smirk.