Chapter Nineteen

Cress squealed, grabbing Thorne's arm. She lightly bounced on her feet, causing her to sink lower in the snow. With a giggle, she gripped his arm tighter to keep from falling.

Smiling to himself, Thorne walked with her towards the house; moving slowly so she could take everything in.

He glanced behind him and swallowed a laugh at seeing both Cinder and Wolf making a b-line for the house, Cinder muttering the entire time about hating snow and the stupid ice and slush and cold.

"Not in the mood for a snowball fight?" Thorne called after her.

Cinder smirked. "No. And if you come after me, I'll come after you with this leg." She shook her left foot.

Thorne started to say something again, but Cress stumbled and would have fallen if he didn't catch her.

"Sorry. It's slippery." She grinned up at him, her teeth chattering together. The cold had brought a light flush to her cheeks and her eyes were brighter than normal.

"You're good, Damsel." He kissed the top of her head.

"Cress!"

Thorne had just turned when a snowball smacked him in the shoulder, narrowly missing Cress's head.

"Sorry, that was supposed to hit Cress," Winter said, laughing. She already had another two snowballs in each hand.

Cress hurriedly stooped to make her own. It took her a few tries to get it right but within minutes she and Winter were hurling snowballs at each other. They both had terrible aim, but Thorne could tell by their laughter and playful taunts they were having fun nonetheless.

Thorne doubled back to the ship, grabbing his things as well as Cress's bag and flower before starting toward the house again.

Cress and Winter were still stumbling around the snow, but Scarlet and Wolf had joined the party. It seamed an unfair advantage that Scarlet had Wolf on her side against Cress and Winter.

"Whose room is whose?" Thorne asked as he walked inside.

Cinder shrugged. "Jacin's the tour guide, ask him."

Thorne nodded, casting another glance out the window. Cress had tripped again and landed knee-deep in the snow. She was laughing as Wolf hauled her to her feet.

"You look like a proud parent," Cinder said, laughing.

Thorne clicked his tongue, quickly wrapping his arm around her neck and pulling her against him in an awkward hug. "You'll always be my baby, too."

"Ugh, get off." Cinder shoved him away but he held on.

"Aw, don't you love me too? Come on, I know that silicone heart of yours feels something for me."

"Yeah it's called repulsion."

"Nu-uh. You're lonely, I know, and I'm here for you."

"Let me go!" Cinder demanded, though her tone lost a of it's venom when she laughed.

Thorne laughed right back, tightening his grip.

"Jacin!"

"Aces and spades you're such a tattletale!" Thorne hissed, immediately letting her go and shoving her away.

Cinder grinned proudly, crossing her arms over her chest.

Thorne glared at her as he rounded the corner and started down the corridor in search of his room. He passed Jacin.

"What's wrong?"

"Nothing. Princess Pain-in-the-Rump was throwing a royal tantrum." 

Jacin lightly frowned, confused, but Thorne didn't pause to explain. "Which room is mine?"