Chapter Twenty

Cress didn't wake up again until pale sunlight was streaming in through the window. She arched her back in a stretch, turning over and snuggling up against Carswell who was still asleep. For almost a half hour she stayed snuggled against him and enjoyed the peacefulness of the morning. As the sun climbed higher and reflected against the snow, it created a blanket of sparkles and glitter outside on the ground.

"It's so bright." Carswell mumbled.

"It's so pretty!" Cress countered, grinning. She lifted her head before sliding out of the blanket and draping it back across the couch.

"Hey, where are you going? You're my only source of warmth in this star-forsaken icebox."

Cress giggled, pressing her hands against the window pane. "We should take a picture."

"My portscreen is in my room."

"No, I meant of us. In the snow."

"Ah. Yeah, we should. That'd be cute."

Cress grinned, clasping her hands together as she moved back towards Carswell. "Come on, let's go do something."

"Like what?" He mumbled, his eyes still closed and his face pressed against the side of the couch's arm.

"I don't know."

"Since when are you hyper?" He asked, fumbling around for her hand and pulling her against him.

She yelped, falling on the sofa.

"Why don't you want to stay in bed and sleep in?" He drawled, wrapping his arms around her so she couldn't escape.

"Since when do you want to stay in bed and sleep in? And this isn't even a bed!"

"Always."

Cress scoffed, squirming when he tickled her side. "Don't!"

"How about if you let me tickle you I'll get up?"

"No."

"Fine, then I'm staying in bed, er, on the sofa; excuse me."

"Fine then I'm going to go outside. I bet Wolf will play with me."

Carswell grunted, though he didn't open his eyes. He adjusted his arms around her so he could play with her hair. "You're so manipulative. I'll play with you in a little bit."

Cress, much to her own delight, found herself relaxing against him. She liked it when he played with her hair. "You're manipulative," she murmured.

"Oh?"

"Mm-hm." Cress turned, facing him and snaking her arms around his waist. As excited as she was to check out the snow again and see more of The United Kingdom, lying here with Carswell was just as much a dream come true. When she paused to actually think about it—him, them—it still didn't seem possible.

"Alright." Carswell finally yawned.

Cress snapped her eyes open, surprised she had fallen back asleep.

"I think I could be convinced to get up."

Cress arched her back in a stretch. "Mkay." She yawned, pushing herself up as Carswell did the same.

"I love you."

Cress smiled to herself. "I love you, too."

He kissed the side of her head. "Hurry up and get dressed so we can eat and get on with the day."

With a giddy grin, Cress bounced down the corridor towards her room where he bags were neatly piled up on the floor. She quickly tugged on her jeans and one of the many long sleeve sweaters Iko had given her before running her fingers through her hair and making her way back downstairs.