Chapter Twenty-Nine

Cress woke up several times throughout the night in a coughing fit. Every time, Carswell startled awake and asked if she was okay or if she needed anything. She wished he would sleep in his room so he would actually sleep, but he insisted on staying with her on the off chance she couldn't breathe again he would be right there.

"You okay?" he asked lifting his head.

Cress nodded. "Yeah, sorry."

"S'okay." He stood up from the chair he had been sleeping on and handed her a glass of water from the nightstand.

"Thanks." She downed the entire glass with a faint groan. "The chair can't be very comfortable."

"It's fine." Carswell rested a hand on her forehead, probably checking to see if she had a temperature. "I'd rather you get some decent sleep."

"I sleep better with you," she mumbled against the pillow, peering at him through her lashes.

"You're just saying that." Carswell fixed the blanket over her and kissed her temple.

"No I'm not." Cress fumbled for his hand before he had the chance to walk back to his chair. "Your shoulder has the perfect spot for my head."

Carswell smirked, sighing dramatically.

Cress grinned her most pleading smile, which was never hard when he was looking at her with those beautiful blue eyes.

"Alright fine, but let's go to my room then. At least with the bigger bed you can shove me away."

Cress bit her lip, still smiling as he scooped her up and carried her down the hall. She leaned her head on the space between his chest and shoulder. "See? Perfect fit."

"You're so right." Carswell lowered her onto his bed and climbed over, adjusting himself before pulling her against him.

"I love you."

"I love you too. Now no more talking, go to sleep."

Cress nodded, lightly shivering and snuggling closer to him as she drifted off to sleep.

Much to her dismay, Cress still didn't feel 100% the next morning when she woke. At least they didn't have anymore work to do, but she hated not feeling well and every time she coughed she had a mini panic attack and worried she'd not be able to breathe.

The rest of the week sped by way to fast and before Cress realized it, it was time to take Scarlet and Wolf to the airport. She had only ridden in a hover a handful of times, but the one Wolf called one was much bigger than the others.

The foursome piled in, Scarlet and Wolf's remaining luggage packed in the back. The streets of New York were much more crowded than any other city Cress had seen. And the business stretched on and on with no escape! Streets and streets and streets filled with hundreds of thousands of people, walking and riding hovers.

They finally stopped at the airport which, not so surprisingly, was huge. The hover doors opened and Carswell stepped out, helping Cress from the car and blessedly keeping his hand around hers.

Wolf managed to single-handedly grab the bags from the trunk before they all filed inside, which was just as packed as it was outside.

Scarlet led them through a maze of corridors. They checked their bags in at the front desk and then continued until they came to an area marked "security checkpoint."

"Alright, this is where we say good-bye," Scarlet said, pausing just before entering. She shifted her bag to her other shoulder before Wolf took it from her.