Chapter One Hundred and Sixteen

It was premature, she knew, but Cress spent the rest of the afternoon and into the evening looking online at nursery decorating ideas. She had no idea where they were going to put all the stuff that had been collecting in the spare room, and it looked as though a massive clean out was on the horizon. At Carswell's insistence, she called one of the local doctors offices to see about coming in and managed to set a date a few weeks out.

"A few weeks?" Carswell asked.

"Yeah, cause I guess they can't really do anything until you're around 8 weeks and the nurse estimated I was only 5."

"Oh."

"I know," Cress sighed, sinking back down beside him. "So what are we going to do for three weeks?"

Carswell laughed. "Beats me. You can come with me to the studio if you want."

"Yeah. I should try and get as much school l done though as I can. Maybe even add another fast class?"

"Just don't overload yourself."

"I won't. I just want to stay busy at least right now."

Carswell grinned, leaning over and snaking his arms around her, pushing her down onto the sofa and kissing her. "I love you."

"I love you too." Cress grinned, albeit nervously.

"You okay?"

"Yeah. Just... nervous and excited and terrified and a whole bunch of other stuff."

Carswell missed the end of her nose. "I know. How do you feel? I know you weren't feeling great earlier, any better?"

"About the same."

"It's almost dinner time, are you hungry or nah?"

"Um... not really," she said.

Carswell smiled. He released her just enough to smooth a hand over her stomach.

"It feels the same," she said with a pout.

"It won't for long."

Cress giggled. She raked her hand through his hair. "You should go eat."

Carswell kissed her, righting himself and then starting into the kitchen. Cress watched him putter around the kitchen, making himself something to eat, smiling to herself. She sighed, smiling.

As soon as Carswell came back out with something to eat she wished she'd asked him to make her some.

"Want some?" he asked, handing her an extra plate. "I figured you'd change your mind."

"Thank you," Cress grinned, a little sheepishly. "Ooh your world famous grilled cheese."

"Help yourself, I made a bunch cause I'm hungry and I know you are too."

Cress nodded. She pulled the blanket over her lap and started munching on the grilled cheese. She purposefully ate slowly, not wanting to throw up again or irritate her stomach.

"So Alex told me there's been a surplus in the budget, kind of by mistake, and I was thinking of hiring an assistant."

"Ooh, cool! What would she do?"

"Mainly run errands when I'm at the studio, go for lunch and coffee runs--the usual assistant-y things."

"Hey that sounds like something I could do."

"You're not being my assistant."

"Why not?"

"Because you do those things already for free."