Chapter One Hundred and Twenty-Six

Cress drew a steady breath and let it out slowly. Sunlight was streaming in through the windows but she was still so tired. She glanced at the clock on the nightstand, surprised it was well after seven thirty. She really needed to get up and get breakfast started and make sure there was coffee made.

Carswell's arm wrapped around her from behind and she felt him press into her. Cress smiled to herself, her heart thudding. Despite that he did that pretty much every morning as he woke up, it still thrilled her to the core. She turned over so she could snuggle against him.

"It's freezing in here," she mumbled.

"I know. Someone should get up and close the window."

"Someone like you."

"You're closer."

"You're bigger and stronger."

"You're smaller and faster."

Cress groaned. "I can just bury into you and you'll keep me warm so, whatever."

"Not if I, the bigger and stronger, take all the blankets."

Cress frowned. "Don't do that."

"Fine it's settled, I'll let you keep the blankets if you close the window."

"Counter offer—you close the window and I'll stay here and keep warm."

"Counter counter offer—neither of us closes the stupid window."

"That works."

Carswell readjusted his arms around her and in only a few minutes Cress had started to doze again. She fell asleep only to wake what felt like seconds later when Carswell kissed the side of her head and started to get up.

With a tired groan, Cress reluctantly did the same. She shook her fingers through her hair and tugged on some sweats since it was still pretty chilly. Thankfully she and Carswell were the first ones downstairs so while he straightened up the living room from last nights shenanigans she started breakfast.

"What does Iko do when we're all asleep?" Carswell asked, sauntering into the kitchen and setting a dirty cup in the dishwasher.

"Charge?"

"Hm." Carswell shrugged. He moved behind Cress and wrapped his arms around her shoulders, propping his chin down on the top of her head.

Cress kissed his arm, her heart fluttering. He released her, one of his hands dropping to her waist and lightly rubbing her stomach.

"How are you feeling?"

"Good. Really tired, so I might try and sneak away at some point and lay down."

"I think that's a good idea," he added, kissing the side of her face. "Maybe I'll see if I can talk everyone into going to the beach so the house'll be quiet."

"No, don't do that! I want to go to the beach."

"Okay, never mind." He laughed, nodding to the counter. "What can I do?"

"Nothing. Just gonna let this bake," Cress said, handing him the glass dish when he reached for it and watching as he set it in the oven. She stretched up to kiss him, sucking in a breath when his arms wrapped around her waist and he lifted her up, setting her on the counter and grazing the back of her legs.

"You're so beautiful," he murmured, moving a hand to cup her chin.

Cress almost giggled, heat climbing to her cheeks. She raked a hand through his hair, smoothing it over and then resting her forearm on his shoulder and playing with the hair on the back of his head. His eyes were so blue and beautiful and it still caused the air in her lungs to hitch when he looked at her the way he was looking at her right now.

"Whatcha thinking?"

"How much I love you."

Carswell grinned her favorite lopsided smile, leaning in to kiss her again. "You're so tall up here."

"I know. It's kinda fun."

"I don't think I told you, but I thought the way you told everyone was perfect."

Cress visibly brightened, her heart soaring. "Really?"

"Totally. Mixing the chocolates up was genius."

Cress grinned. "Oh good. I thought about so many different ways and they were all cute but I didn't want to be to corny and silly."

"Nah, that was great."

"When should we announce it publicly?" she asked, flicking her fingers in the air.

"Whenever. I thought maybe I could talk you into coming on the podcast again and we could announce it."

Cress tried to smile, nervous to be on the podcast a second time. It ended up being done the first go around, but mainly because she's been literally reading off a piece of paper and he did 90% of the talking.

"Oh come on--you were great last time!"

"You were great. I read you questions. How about I just sit in the viewing box and nod along? I'll hold up a little fan sign."

Carswell made a face, poking her side.

Cress squirmed but she didn't take her arms from his shoulders.

"You don't have to, but I'd love it if you did. Think about it." Carswell kissed the end of her nose.

"What if we just took a picture? I'll take a cute photo with you and we can post it on the net and then I don't have to talk in front of anyone."

"Alright, that sounds doable," he laughed.

Cress grinned.

Carswell hedged. "What would you think about either calling or even sending a comm to my parents? I figure they're gonna find out eventually, may as well do what we can to keep peace."

Cress nodded. "That's a good idea. Doubt they'll be happy about it, but like you said they'll find out one way or another. At least your way they won't be able to say we didn't even tell them."

"Right." Carswell kissed her again and then wrapped his arms around her, lowering her back to the ground.