Chapter Eighty Two

Cress tossed both her and Carswell's bowls into the renewal chute before meandering out towards the living area. She reached for her port sitting on the coffee table and pulled up the news reports from Luna. She wasn't sure whether or not to be concerned with the rogue soldier attacks. From what she understood, and even in some of the conversations between Cinder and Carswell she'd overheard, it was one or two who would randomly show up and cause trouble.

Still, Carswell getting involved made her uneasy.

"You'll be careful, right?" She asked, nervously chewing her lip.

"I told you—careful is my middle name."

"Right after suave and daring, I know." Cress rolled her eyes.

Carswell laughed.

"But seriously."

"What is it I'm being careful about?"

"When you're doing whatever you'll be doing to help with the soldier attacks."

"Oh—you're worried about that?" Carswell asked, an edge of doubt in his tone as he set it portscreen down and looked up at her.

Cress nodded. "Yeah."

Carswell's face softened into a smile but Cress could tell he wasn't giving her concern much ground. He gripped her waist and pulled her towards him. "Don't worry—it'll be fine and I'm sure Cinder's got some troops lined up to help us." He added with a shrug.

"Yeah, probably."

Carswell flashed her his one-sided smirk, kissing her side. "I love you for worrying, though."

Cress scoffed, running her fingers through his hair. She started to say something but he pulled her down onto his lap and nuzzled her neck. A giggle was ripped from her throat. "You know you can't always distract me with kisses, right?"

"Have we seen a time that hasn't worked?" Carswell murmured, running his hand up her leg.

Cress tried to keep tingles from overtaking her thoughts but it became increasingly difficult. Butterflies filled her stomach and her eyes fluttered closed.

"You smell good." He murmured against his, his hand warm on her bare leg.

Cress almost giggled again. She frowned instead, acting before she could think she shoved away from him and darted around to the other side of the table.

"What's wrong with you?"

"You are not allowed to kiss me until you promise you'll be careful. That means no doing anything stupid because you want to show off, or running into danger 'cause it's exciting—that means you have to think every time you do something." Cress stated, crossing her arms over her chest and staring him down with her firmest look.

Carswell's eyebrows shot up and Cress couldn't tell if he was amused or confused. "Those are some pretty intense conditions."

"Non negotiable, too."

"Aces." Carswell leaned back and draped his arm across the back of the bench.

"Well?"

"I want one free pass."

"For what?"

"Showing off."

"On a scale of 1 to 10, how reckless would this 'showing off' be?"

"10."

"5."

"7?"

"6."