Chapter Twelve

"What's wrong with Cress?" Cinder asked after Iko dragged Cress from the room with the promise of a dress-shop appointment.

Thorne looked up from his plate, lightly frowning. "Is something wrong with her?"

"She seamed to get all... 'Cress' when Iko mentioned going shopping for the ball."

"I think she's a little nervous to go shopping with Iko." He shrugged. "And what do you mean she got all 'Cress'?"

"You know what I mean. She got all awkward and..." Cinder waved her hand through the air.

Thorne raised an eyebrow, daring her to finish the thought. When Cinder remained smugly silent, he said, "She's just probably nervous to go shopping. Speaking of, this ball... any idea how long it's going to last?"

Cinder shrugged. "Maybe... six hours? I don't know. Why?"

Thorne shrugged. "Just curious."

"You're going right?"

"Yeah, why?"

"You don't seam all that excited about it."

"Oh I just don't feel like jumping up and down and squealing. Do we have to stay for the whole six hours?"

Jacin scoffed.

"You're telling me you're going to make Cress leave the ball early?" Scarlet said, her eyebrows shooting up. Her tone sounded like more of a statement than a question. 

"I don't know how to dance!" Thorne hissed, dropping his voice.

"Stars, if only there was a palace full of people who did."

Thorne scoffed, rolling his eyes and dropping his port down on the table. "Look, I'm just not a... a dancing kind of guy, okay? And I don't really want my 'debut' to be at a ball that will be seen by trillions of people!"

"Not even for Cress? Sweet, innocent, naive Cress who spent her entire life trapped on a satellite dreaming a moment like this?"

Thorne leveled a glare at her. "I never said I wasn't going."

"Dreaming, and hoping, and praying? That Captain Caswell Thorne would sweep her away and take her—"

"Alright, alright, I get it. You're making me feel like a jerk, you know that? And I have every intention on taking her, I just..."

Cinder raised her eyebrows.

Thorne lightly scoffed, smiling despite himself at the image of Cress's face. She got so excited when Kai had mentioned the ball. And if he learned how to dance, there'd be no issue—it's not like he had anything against dancing. He just didn't want to be the group clown.

That was Kai's job. 

"Alright, your metallic majesty, let's see you dance. Come on, show me your stuff." Thorne stood up, shoving the last bit of biscuit in his mouth and waving Cinder over.

Rolling her eyes, Cinder took his hand and put her other one on his shoulder.

"Now you're the guy, so you have to lead."

"Yeah, I'll get right on that," Thorne deadpanned.

"So first you're going to step forward with you right foot—"

"I am, or you are?"

"You are. And I'll step back with my left... then we go to the side and pivot—"

"Pivot?"

"Turn."

"I know what pivot means," Thorne retorted.

Cinder made a face. "Kay, this is the tricky part," she added, almost laughing as she glanced over at Kai. Lifting her and Thorne's clasped hands up; she stepped beneath then, turning her way back to the outside. She did something wrong and ended up facing the wrong way.

"Wrong hand," Kai said.

"When?"

"When you turned under—Thorne you need to use your left hand."

Thorne lightly frowned as Cinder repositioned herself in front of him. His left hand was resting on her waist and he frowned.

"So when you step out, Cinder you turn and take his left hand and then duck under. Scarlet, c'mere." Kai waved his hand towards him.

Scarlet stood up and Kai used her to demonstrate the move. She didn't have any trouble following his lead so she either knew how to dance or knew how to follow. Chances were it was the first.

"We need music," Thorne announced after moving through the dance for the third time. Much to his excitement, each time he moved smoother and faster; the steps getting easier. He refused to admit, even to himself, how fun it was. Even Wolf and Scarlet practiced, thought they didn't move as gracefully.

Kai activated the speaker and music filled the room. Moving in time with the music, Thorne and Cinder ran through the dance again and again.

"You're unnaturally good at this. Almost like you've downloaded a tutorial and are watching it as we speak."

"I've been practicing," Cinder retorted. She glanced behind her at Scarlet and Wolf, who still seamed to be struggling.

Kai offered to run through it with Scarlet so Wolf could see how it looked like. Cinder followed his example and moved to dance with Wolf, who seamed uncomfortable. 

"Kay, I want to try again—this little lesson is for me, remember?" Thorne added, standing up.

"It's because of you, not for you," Cinder replied dryly.

"Here, try it with Scarlet," Kai said.

"Yeah and remember—you lead."

Thorne glared at her, taking Scarlet's hand. When the music started over again, they launched into it. Dancing with Scarlet was harder than it was with Cinder, simply because she didn't know the dance as well. Like Cinder said, that gave him the chance to practice leading. It was easier than he was expecting and the steps stuck with him.

"Throw in a cheesy sing-a-long song and we'll be right out of a musical!"

"I'll leave the singing to you," Kai replied, slipping his hand around Cinder's and pulling her towards him.

Thorne gave him a thumbs-up, reaching for another dumpling.