Chapter Fifty-Seven

The next few days seemed to drag. As much fun as it was going over furniture ideas and color schemes and layouts with Iko and Winter, Cress couldn't focus nearly enough of her attention on it with her wedding inching closer and closer by the minute.

And it wasn't because she was nervous! She couldn't remember ever being this excited.

Except maybe the first time she had actually seen Carswell over the net screen all those years ago.

Rolling onto her back and staring up at the ceiling, Cress couldn't stifle her smile. Jacin had arrived earlier that day and said they would leave at about four in the morning.

It was just now midnight and she had been trying to get to sleep for almost three hours. She was tempted for a hot second to comm Carswell, if nothing else just to talk to him but she wasn't sure where he was or what time it was.

Turning onto her side and reaching for her port, she sent him a quick text instead. Are you awake?

Carswell's reply was almost immediate. Yes, but you shouldn't be.

Cress smiled to herself, faintly giggling. I know... I'm too excited though. And I miss you.

I miss you too, Damsel

What are you doing?

Can't tell you

Cress scoffed, turning onto her stomach so she could type easier. I love you.

I love you too. Now get some sleep. I'll see you in a couple days.

Aye-aye, captain. Cress sighed, shutting her port off and shoving it away from her. Pillowing her head in her hands she closed her eyes and started counting. It was an old trick she used to do back on the satellite when she couldn't sleep or she had just worked out a complex string of code and her mind was like a live wire.

It must have worked as the next thing Cress remembered was being gently woken by the ship's engines. Turning over and glancing out the window her eyebrows shot up at seeing they were already in the air. Excitement bubbled in the pit of her stomach and she smiled to herself.

Not quite ready to leave the warmth of her blankets, Cress settled back down and tried to get a few more hours of sleep. Of course it was impossible but she forced herself to at least rest. She clenched her toes and held it for ten seconds before moving up her legs and down her arms.

"Cress?"

Cress's eyes snapped open just as Iko poked her head in the door.

"Jacin said we're heading into some turbulence so we should strap in."

"Carswell usually just has me hold on to something."

"You want to argue with Jacin?"

Cress shook her head, sliding from the blankets and grabbing her sweatshirt as she followed Iko to the cargo bay.

"Where's Winter?"

"Cockpit."

Cress didn't get the chance to reply as a light tremor shook the ship. She drew her knees to her chest and grinned to herself.

"What are you smiling at?" Iko asked, grinning.

"Nothing. Just... thinking about Carswell."

Iko giggled.

"I can't believe I'm getting married tomorrow."

"I know. It seemed to go by fast, at least for me."

"For me too." Cress grinned.

"Okay, so because of the time zone difference we only have 15 hours between now and the wedding."

"Fifteen hours?" Cress gasped. "Where are we going?"

"You'll find out!"

"In fifteen hours! When do we land?"

"Ten hours. Ish."

"So we'll have five hours to kill when we land?"

Iko laughed. "No, darling, I've got your whole day mapped out. As soon as Jacin gives the all clear, we'll do some fun pampering stuff and the rest when we land."

Cress's eyes involuntarily widened and she suddenly felt intimidated. Though she had no reason to be anxious as Iko was the one doing all the work and planning everything out. Cress giggled to herself. Iko was bridezilla.

Fortunately she and Iko were only confined to the cargo bay for a half hour before Jacin gave them the all clear.

Iko pulled Cress back to the living room where she was instructed to sit down on the sofa and "get comfortable."

Her nerves starting to intensify, Cress obediently obliged. She fingered with the ends of her hair and though it wasn't long enough to twist around her wrist, she twirled strands around her fingers.

Iko came in a moment later, her arms loaded with all kinds of expensive looking beauty creams and gels and tools.

"Are you doing any of this stuff?" Cress asked as Iko started smearing an alarmingly green mud mask on Cress's face.

"No."

"Why not?"

"Because my skin is synthetic and perfect."

"Oh, right."

Iko faintly laughed. She wiped her hands on a towel. "That just has to sit for twenty minutes. Want to watch something?"

"Sure. You pick."

Iko picked a sitcom Cress had seen several times before and always enjoyed and she found herself starting to grow more and more relaxed under Iko's pampering.

Winter eventually joined them and despite being physically perfect she still participated in the facials and masks and pampering.

It was fun.

It was also an agonizing six additional hours before they landed during which time she, Iko, and Winter played various games, talking more of the apartment, watched some net-shows, and nibbled on snacks.

When the Rampion finally touched down, Iko had to make Cress promise not to peak out the windows. As difficult as that was, Cress agreed. Thankfully Iko kept her busy with game after game, even playing a round of Royals that Cress lost.

At some point Scarlet came in, grinning. "Okay I'm not one for like... big extravagant gestures—especially coming from Thorne—but..." She made a sound close to a squeal.

Cress tried to smile, though she felt a tremor of nerves shoot down her spine. She figured Carswell was doing something big, but she was worried about just how big it was. She knew she would love whatever he had done, but she wasn't great at receiving gifts in front of people and she didn't want him to be disappointed or think she didn't like it.

"What are you playing?" Scarlet asked.

"Royals. Come play." Iko waved her over.

"I think I'm going to watch this round," Cress said, forcing the smile to stay on her face as she stood up and moved to the sofa.

Cress forced herself to pay attention, though only a few minutes later her mind began to wander. She missed Carswell, she didn't like not knowing where she was, she was already nervous to be getting married...

Slowly exhaling, Cress reached for the blanket and wrapped it around her shoulders.