Chapter Two

Standing on the landing pad, beneath the artificial light under the dome, Cress chewed her lip and wrung her hands. She was sad to leave Cinder, Iko, Winter, and Jacin behind, even though she was a little eager to be off Luna. It felt... wrong to leave part of the crew. Her friends. She hadn't ever had any friends before, and it sent an ache through her heart to be splitting apart after everything they had been through. 

Cinder walked up up her, interrupting her thoughts as she wrapped her in a hug. Cinder almost laughed. "Thanks for breaking into... everything. And staying alive."

Cress grinned. "Thank you for coming for me," she murmured.

"Goodbye, mini-friend!" Winter threw her arms around Cress, glancing at Cinder and smiling. "I'm so glad you're safe. Take care of Scarlet-friend."

Cress nervously laughed. "Yeah, of course."

With another stunning grin, Winter backed up into Jacin's arms. She visibly relaxed at his touch. Cress watched Thorne and Jacin shake hands, releasing the slight tension she didn't realize she had.

Jacin cast a quick glance in her direction. He squeezed Winter's shoulders, walking around her and whispering, "Be careful, Shortcake."

She nodded.

With everyone mingling together, smiling and even laughing, another wave of sorrow washed through Cress. Finally, after another few minutes, Thorne laced his fingers through hers and followed Wolf and Scarlet inside. The ramp closed after them with a quiet bang and the air was suddenly still.

"Alright Scarlet, Wolf, check the cargo bay? Make sure everything is secured."

Scarlet nodded once, saluting. "Aye-aye, Captain." She took Wolf's hand and they walked through the short corridor and disappeared.

"You ready to see Earth for real this time?"

Cress nodded eagerly, bouncing up on her tip toes. "Yes! Where are we going first?"

"Africa. But," he continued, starting towards the cockpit, "we'll have a ship this time, so it won't be quite like last time."

"And you'll be able to see."

"And I'll be able to see," Thorne repeated, laughing. He squeezed her shoulders, holding her against him. "I'll be able to see your adorable face, and see your reactions to seeing things for the first time."

"I've already been there."

"Well then try and recreate what you felt when you first saw everything."

Cress smiled, nodding. "I'll do my best."

Once the Rampion had left the gentle pull of Luna's atmosphere and was headed back to Earth, Cress wandered into the galley to scrounge up something to eat. Now that the initial worry of leaving had fizzled, she was hungry again.

She hesitated in the doorway, seeing Wolf rummaging around in the cabinets. He glanced over his shoulder when she paused.

"You can come in, I won't bite you."

Cress didn't move.

"At least not very hard."

She relaxed into a smile, relieved to see the same Wolf beneath the physical changes. He turned back to the mess on the counter and Cress grabbed a protein bar and headed to her room. Leaving the door open, not wanting to be completely secluded, she looked around and grinned.

Her room on the Rampion was much smaller than her satellite, but mainly because this room was just for sleeping. Not living. She did have a brand-new portscreen propped up on the small bedside table, which she promptly picked up. Sitting crossed-legged on her bed, she poured over the new features and started getting it set up as hers.