Chapter One Hundred and Two

Cress stood up, slinging her bag across her shoulder and grabbing her  jacket with her free hand. Trying to be as quiet as possible so as not  to disrupt those who were still taking the test, she crept out the door  and into the corridor. Relatively alone, Cress relaxed into a relieved  grin.

She was officially on winter break for Christmas! Her shoulders felt  so much lighter as she skipped down the stairs and pushed open the heavy  door. It was raining and she'd forgotten her umbrella, but she was so  excited about being done for the next two weeks she didn't mind.

"Damsel!"

Cress paused, turning and looking for Carswell who appeared down a side walkway with an umbrella opened up above him.

"I've got a hover waiting," he said with a grin.

Cress grinned right back, hurrying toward him and throwing her arms around his neck as she stretched up to kiss him.

"You're in a good mood, I take it the test went well."

"I think so. But now I have a whole two weeks off," Cress said with a grin.

Carswell winked. He quickly kissed her again, snaking an arm around her shoulders and starting down toward the street.

"So this is officially your last change to back out of Christmas with your parents," Cress said with a giggle.

"What? Never! You know how warm and fuzzy me and my parents are."

Cress nudged him and he nudged her back. "Have you heard anything more from that sponsor who wanted to make you a partner?"

Carswell nodded, grabbing the hover door for her and taking her bag.  "Yeah, they sent me the... contract of sorts with all the details and it  looks great, and then as soon as we get back they want to give me a tour of the studio."

Cress grinned.

"I told them we're going out of town for a bit and already have a  bunch of episodes pre-recorded so when we got back we'll start."

Cress squealed. "That's so cool! I can't wait to see it--wait, will I be able to see the studio?"

"Oh I'm sure," Carswell grinned.

As soon as the hover pulled up in front of their apartment complex, Carswell and Cress hurried inside.

Cress hung her coat and bag up before hurrying over to the fire and letting herself warm up. "Aces it's cold."

"I know."

"Our flight leaves at eight tomorrow morning, don't forget," she added.

Carswell nodded. "Thanks."

"Did I show you the dress I got?"

"No, lemme see."

With a grin, Cress darted up the stairs and into their room. Pulling a floor length taupe dress from the closet and starting back down to the living room, she held it in front of herself for Carswell to see.

"So these things tie and make the sleeves," Cress said. "And there's so many ways you can wear it, it's one of those transforming dresses."

"Nice."

"Hopefully it won't be cold inside."

"Doubt it."

Cress relaxed into a grin. She hung her dress back up and then started making dinner while Carswell took a shower. She wasn't sure what to be expecting from his parents, but hopefully they wouldn't feel awkward around her or say anything. It wasn't so much her own feelings that she was concerned about, but how she knew Carswell would react. Granted he didn't have the best relationship with his parents, but regardless of what he said she did not want to be something else that added to that strain.

Maybe once they realized the Rampion had been paid off and they had an apartment and Carswell's podcast was getting contracted and they were actually living like grown-ups they'd be happy. Or, at close to happy as they capable.

"What are you grimacing about?" Carswell asked as he came into the kitchen, dressed in his sweats and hoodie.

"Nothing, just hoping your parents will... like things better now."

Carswell looked like he was about to say something snarky but changed his mind. "Yeah, hopefully," he said instead. "Smells good."

"I'm trying to use up the last of the chicken before we leave. You wanna clean out the fridge?"

"No."

Cress glared.

"Fine." Carswell kissed her as he walked past, opening the fridge and starting to drag out all the boxes and containers of food. "Hey you know there's still cookie dough in here?"

"Yeah, it's new though. I got it a few days ago."

"Oh sweet," Carswell said as he tore the lid off.

"Hey we're gonna eat in a few minutes."

"I know. I'll save room. Besides, you said we gotta get rid of all this."

"I meant like the half burger that's been sitting in there for a week. That we can freeze."

"Oh. Okay." Carswell shrugged, resealing the container and tossing it in the freezer. While Cress was finishing up dinner, he sorted through the rest of the things in their fridge and threw away the stuff that was bad or expired.

"Alright let's eat. And then I gotta pack," Cress sighed as she set the pan of fried chicken on the table.

"Here, we should finish this," Carswell added as he tossed a container of rice on the table.

Cress nodded. 

Right after dinner, Carswell offered to clean up so Cress could go get her things together. She took a quick shower first, tossed her clothes in the newel chute and then started packing her clothes. The plan was to spend a few days in New York with Carswell's parents and then from there go to Canada and spend New Years with Jacin and Winter and the rest of the crew. Which meant she needed to bring everything from fancy breakfast clothes to snow pants and boots.

"Alright, I think I should be good. I guess worst case scenario I can borrow something from Scarlet or Cinder or Winter," Cress said as she dragged her suitcase down the stairs. Carswell was quick to take it from her. "Thanks." 

" I feel bad abandoning the Rampion again," Carswell said with a mock frown.

"I know me too. But I know your fans will flood you if they catch it in New York."

"You always say my fans as if you don't have any."

Cress grinned, rather against her will. She shrugged. "My fans aren't as crazy as yours."

"Okay I'll give you that. C'mere." Carswell quickly pulled her arm as she walked past him, sweeping her into an embrace.

Cress's heart leapt to her throat, though by now she'd learned he wouldn't drop her. She immediately snaked her arms around him, threading her fingers through his hair. 

"You know we won't be able to kiss like this when we're at my parents," Carswell smirked, kissing her again.

"Why, are they gonna give us separate rooms?"

Carswell laughed. The groaned. "Probably."

"Ooh, then we'll have to be sneaky." Cress wiggled her eyebrows.

"Have I told you before I like the way you think?"

"Yes. Several times." Cress grinned.

Carswell pulled her toward the sofa, sinking down and continuing to kiss her. Cress melted against him, hoping the way she felt when he kissed her would never go away. The way the world seemed to disappear, leaving just the two of them.