Chapter Fifteen

Immediately following the end of the first dance, Kai and Cinder—hand in hand—walked back up a flight of short stairs to the private table designated for them and the rest of the crew. Waiters flooded the perimeter of the room with trays laden with food while guests meandered around or took seats at their tables.

"Our table is with Kai and Cinder?" Cress asked softly.

Carswell nodded, tucking her arm in the crook of his elbow as they started back up the stairs. Cress delicately held her dress up so she wouldn't trip, imagining the amount of sparkles reflecting off her tiara. Glancing at Winter's as a point of reference, she grinned even more. Tonight, she was royalty along with Winter and Cinder.

Carswell nudged Cinder under the table. "Hey, your Royal Robotic-ness, think I can chug this entire thing of steak sauce?"

Cinder levelled a glare at him. "What's wrong with you?"

"A lot, but that's beside the point. Come on, how much you want to bet?"

Cinder didn't say anything. She just glowered silently at him until he resolutely put the bottle down. "Honestly Cress, I don't understand why you like him to much."

Cress shifted uncomfortably, trying to think of something to say. Something Carswell, or even Cinder, would say. "Yeah, I'm struggling to remember why at the moment," she murmured. She hadn't even finished formulating the words aloud when heat climbed to her face and she wished to disappear beneath the table. They must have thought she was a total—

Laughter erupted around the table, followed by several "ooh's." Cinder laughed the hardest. She held up a hand towards Cress, who almost shyly gave her a high-five.

"Shortcake's got some cheek," Jacin said, gracing Cress with a rare smile. The grin on her face turned genuine at the praise and she sat up a little straighter.

Carswell draped an arm around the back of her chair, kissing the side of her head. He was smiling so she knew he didn't take her seriously.

"Alright, alright..." He chuckled, shaking his head.

Additional waiters brought out another round of food. Some kind of soup that was thick and creamy and a green.

"What is it?" Cress asked softly.

"Split pea soup," Carswell murmured back. "It's American. There's probably something here from every country and Luna."

Cress nodded. Though she didn't like the appearance of the soup, she was determined and even excited to try all the new dishes. Besides, she liked peas. Spooning up a delicate bite, her eyebrows shot up in surprise as she found the taste to be delicious. It was good. She eagerly spooned up another bite, carefully watching Winter out of the corner of her eye and trying to mimic her graceful movements.

As some point, music started again. Cress's attention roved back down to the dance floor where several couples had paused their eating to dance. She smiled, sighing and still trying to get her mind wrapped around the fact that she was at a ball. As Emperor Kai's ball!

"Come on, Damsel." Carswell stood up, taking her hand and walking with her back down the stairs onto the floor. He laced his fingers through hers, resting his other hand around her waist.

The music slowed and Carswell pulled her against him, sliding his hand to her back. She leaned her head against his shoulder, moving slowly and in time with the gentle music. She could dance with him forever. His thumb moved up and down her back and his other arm snaked around his shoulders.

"I'm glad you came," she murmured.

Carswell kissed the top of her head. "Me too."

They danced through four songs—the first two were also slow, but the second two picked up in terms of tempo. Cress didn't want to overwhelm him with dancing non-stop, but he didn't seam to mind. In fact, he was eager to continue dancing up until the dessert was brought out.