Chapter Sixty-Four

Cress woke with her nose smashed into Carswell's chest. Warm light was pouring in from the windows and there was a cool breeze coming in from somewhere.

"I was wondering when you'd realize that wasn't comfortable."

Cress giggle, adjusting her head so she could stay close to him but also breathe. "What time is it?"

"Seven thirty."

Cress groaned. "I wanted to sleep in."

"So go back to sleep."

"I can't. I'm too excited. Besides, it's kinda nice to stay in bed and just... rest."

Carswell nodded.

They stayed there for another half hour before Carswell said he wanted to take a shower.

"Do you want to order room service or go down to the restaurant?"

"Mm... room service. Then I don't have to get dressed."

"Works for me. There's a menu... somewhere. Look around for it and order whatever you want," Carswell said, kissing her forehead as he slid out of bed.

Cress made the bed before beginning her hunt for the list of breakfast options. She found it tucked neatly on the table beneath the netscreen. She hesitated, pausing at the bathroom door. 

The shower was still on.

Dropping to her knees, Cress quietly opened the door and crept forward. Carswell's clothes were piled up on the counter and she snatched his shirt just as the shower squeaked off. She darted back out, quickly grabbing the rest of his shirts from his suitcase and stuffing them beneath the pillows.

"Do you want pancakes or French toast?" she asked, her heart hammering.

"Pancakes."

Cress breathed a sigh of relief. She picked up the provided port-screen and placed an order for pancakes, sausage, eggs, fruit, some plain toast, orange juice, and ice coffee's. While waiting for Carswell to finish in the bathroom, Cress stood out on the balcony and took in the view.

She got cold after only a few minutes so she reluctantly walked back in just as Carswell was coming out of the bathroom.

"No shirt?" Cress innocently asked.

"No, I thought I grabbed one." He shook his head, laughing as he stooped for his suitcase.

"I'm not complaining." Cress grinned.

Carswell chuckled as he continued looking through his clothes. "Okay, where...?" He paused and glanced up at her.

Cress shrugged, though she couldn't keep the smile from her face.

"Where are my shirts?"

"I don't know, they must have gotten lost."

"Fine if you won't give me mine I'll just take yours." Carswell reached for her, wrapping his arms around her waist and sliding his hand beneath the hem of her shirt.

"No!" Cress shrieked, dropping her weight and curling up on the ground.

"Then gimme my shirts!"

Laughter bubbled out of Cress's throat, combined with a tingling in her stomach. "I don't know where they are."

"Fine."

Cress thought for a second he was giving up but instead he picked her up and started tickling her. All thoughts vanished from her mind as she wiggled and squirmed against his grip. Laughter was ripped from her throat and tears started trickling down her face. He dropped back onto the bed and paused, but his arms stayed locked around her.