Chapter Thirty Two

Iko left early the next morning and Cress and Thorne spent the rest of the month touring New York. Just as they were getting ready to leave for California, the next destination on Cress's "wish list," they received a comm from Jacin and Winter. They had eloped.

Cress squealed and giggled, abruptly waking a still sleeping Thorne as she talked to Winter about it, her eyes rounding into perfect circles. She wanted to hear all about it and evidently they were initially going to plan a larger wedding but got about two hours into it and decided to keep it simple and just elope.

Cress thought it was the most romantic thing ever and talked about it for a solid week and a half.

 As they continued their tour, more than one occasion had drawn the attention of fan girls who asked for pictures—a few even asked Cress if she would take it for them—and she seemed to gradually grow less sensitive towards it. She even teased him about it afterwards.

A month into their California trip, they received a report of another outbreak in Australia. Flying to Luna for another round of antidotes and a quick reunion with Cinder and Iko, Cress and Thorne headed back to Australia and stayed there for a few weeks to do some more exploring. Cress loved the beaches and started to grow stronger in her swimming abilities, even going so far as to snorkel around one of the coral reefs.

To say Thorne was impressed would have been an understatement and he didn't think it was possible to love someone as much as he loved Cress.

They were literally on their way to Europe to explore London when Scarlet commed with the exciting news that she and Wolf were engaged.

"Aces it took you long enough!" Thorne laughed. "I can't believe Winter and Jacin beat you two, I thought for sure you would have been married the day after the end of the revolution."

Scarlet rolled her eyes, but she didn't look even remotely irritated. Thorne didn't think he had ever seen her grin so big.

"We're planning for it to be the last week in November. Can you guys try and be back in France by that time? I already talked to Cinder and Iko and Kai—they're all coming. So are Jacin and Winter."

"Hey, right after Thanksgiving."

"That's an American holiday."

"Doesn't mean we can't have a day of thanksgiving, does it?"

Scarlet laughed, oddly giddy. "No, I guess not."

"Of course we'll come, Thanksgiving or not." Thorne finally said, winking at Cress who was grinning again. "Something's definitely in the air." He added when they hung up.

"I think it's exciting." Cress sighed, sinking back in her chair. "And we'll get to see the farm and everyone together again. I hope we do something for Thanksgiving. That holiday always seamed like so much fun, and especially on the farm with the cold weather and the cozy house..." Cress trailed off.

Thorne smiled to himself, making an adjustment to their course. The ship lightly shuddered.

"The end of November, that's only a couple months away."

"We'll have to cut our Rome trip short."

Cress shrugged. "That's fine. I'm still excited about Dublin. Any idea when we'll land?"

"Tomorrow afternoon." Thorne craned his neck, glancing back at her. Cress stifled a yawn as she leaned her head back in the plushiness of her chair. "Tired?"

Cress nodded. "Yeah."

"Come on, let's eat something and then get some sleep." He pushed himself up and took her hand.