Chapter Twenty One

While waiting for their breakfast to be brought out, the table began to fill with chatter. Thorne played with the ends of Cress's hair, his arm still around her shoulders. He thought she seamed tense but then she relaxed against him and he figured it must have been his imagination.

As the waiter set massive plates in front of each person, Thorne leaned close to Cress and murmured,

"You gonna eat all that?"

Cress nodded confidently, though she didn't turn to look at him. "Yep."

Thorne was about to ask if something was wrong when Winter snagged her attention.

"There's this adorable little outdoor mall just down the street, we should go."

Cress nodded eagerly. "It's outdoors? In the snow?"

"Yeah. I mean, the stores themselves are inside but the streets and stuff are outside." She laughed. "I'm terrible at explaining things."

"It sounds fun."

When Iko asked Winter something, Thorne took the opportunity to lean closer to Cress's ear and whisper, "Are you okay?"

"Yeah, why?"

"I don't know. You seam... off."

Cress shrugged. "Nah, I'm fine."

Thorne narrowed his eyes in disbelief but she had already turned away.

Right after breakfast, everyone ordered another round of hot chocolates to go. Armed with warm drinks, they braved the cold air again and started towards the outdoor mall Winter had spoken of. It was close, so Thorne suggested they walk—an idea that was met with mixed reactions. Cinder and Scarlet both groaned but, goaded by Thorne, reluctantly agreed.

Cress darted ahead with Winter

"She doesn't like it when you flirt with other girls." Cinder murmured, walking up beside Thorne.

Thorne frowned. "What?"

"The girls in the restaurant—"

"I wasn't flirting with them." He shook his head. "Seriously."

Cinder paused for a second before shrugging.

"Did you just lie-detector me?"

"It's always on, I can't help it."

"I'm just... friendly."

Cinder quietly laughed. "I'll give you that. I just heard you ask her what was wrong, she kinda... tensed when you stood up."

Thorne glanced ahead at Cress, who was stooping to make another snowball and grinning broadly. "So, what? I shouldn't be friendly?"

"No, no, of course not. Maybe just... be a little sensitive? Not smile that stupid smirk you think is so cute. I'm sure she'll get used to it—used to you and how you are—but in the mean time." Cinder shrugged again.

"Look at you, little miss All-Knowing. That silicone heart of your isn't as cold as I thought."

Cinder snorted, rolling her eyes. "Its way softer than the heart of stone you have."

"Excuse me?"

"You heard me."

"No, no, no, Jacin's the one of the heart of stone."

"Yeah well he's got some competition."

Thorne shoved her shoulder and she shoved him right back. Up ahead, Winter slipped inside a small little shop. Cress glanced back at Thorne and waited for him to catch up. She grinned at him, all hints of jealousy gone. Slinging an arm around her shoulders and giving her a side hug as they walked inside, Thorne glanced around at the little shop. Large windows covered most of the walls, letting in the pale light.

Winter and Scarlet immediately started rummaging through one of the clothing racks.

Thorne nudged Cress, who hesitated.

"Where should we start?" she asked, looking around.

Thorne shrugged. He jerked his chin towards a display of shoes. "How about over here? We can get you some of your own boots." Approaching the table, he picked up a pair that, at least to him, looked cute and similar to the one's she was wearing.

"I like those," she murmured, smiling.

"Yeah? Me too. They match my jacket," he added, holding them up to his arm.

Cress's grin intensified and look up at him. "Next time I make off with it at least I'll be matching, then."

"Iko will be pleased." Thorne glanced at her from the corner of his eye. He didn't want her to ever think he was looking elsewhere or that another girl had caught his attention over her. A worry—relatively new and still prominent—resurfaced in his mind. What if she realized she'd rather be elsewhere? What if she saw the light and discovered she didn't want to be with him and would rather find someone more stable and less likely to make her feel unimportant?

Without consciously thinking to do so, he wrapped his arms around her in a tight hug. She didn't question it, stepping right into his embrace and leaning her head against his chest. When he let her go, she turned to look up at him; smiling, but with a curious look on her face.

"I love you," he murmured, kissing the top of her hair. "I don't want you to ever think I don't."

She chewed the edge of her lip, smiling. "I don't."

"Good." He kissed her forehead, squeezing her one last time before settling his arm across her shoulders and surveying the shop once again. "Okay, now for some thicker sweaters."

"I haven't seen any sweaters. Mostly just dresses."

"Oh. Hm. Well it's a little cold for a dress."

Cress nodded. "Little bit."

"Well if you see something you like, get it. We're headed for California next."

Cress beamed. Her eyes darted to Scarlet and Winter, who were standing in front of a long mirror mounted to the wall. Scarlet had one of her curls stretched down to her waist.

"...desperate need of a trim. I can't remember the last time I had it cut." She said.

"Me either," Winter replied, raking a hand through her soft curls. She suddenly gasped excitedly, gripping Scarlet's arm. "We should go get our hair done!"

Scarlet scowled. "Would you calm yourself?" She paused, glancing in the mirror again. "Yeah, actually, I could go for a trip to the salon. Where's Iko; she'll want to go."

"She was over with—oh, Cress!"

Cress jumped, glancing over her shoulder.

"We're going to get our hair done, come with us! Thorne you're not allowed." She added.

Thorne gasped. "What? You mean miss out on an entire afternoon of nonstop girl talk? How will I survive?"

Cress giggled.

Scarlet made a face. She shifted her attention back to Cress. "You coming?"

Cress nodded. She stretched up on her tip-toes to kiss him. "You'll be okay?"

Thorne nodded, winking. "Yeah." He kissed her forehead. Before she walked away completely, he grabbed her hand. "Hey, don't... don't cut to much off."

Cress giggled. "I wasn't going to cut much. Maybe just a little trim."

He relaxed into a smile. "Not that you wouldn't look amazing with any hair, I just happen to be partial to the way you are exactly right now."

Heat crept into Cress's face and if it was possible, she was even more precious to him then she was two seconds ago.

"Have fun. Gossip, catch up on the trash mags."

"Have fun with Jacin and Wolf!" Cress called as she disappeared through the doors.

Thorne glared after her. Right. Fun. With Jacin... and Wolf. He glanced to the side where the two were, like him, staring after the girls.

"This'll be fun."