Chapter Fifty-Three

The rest of the week leading up to Cinder and Kai's wedding sped by way to quickly. Cress did what she could to help but there wasn't a whole lot to do as their wedding planner arranged and taken care of everything as far as preparation was concerned.

New Years Ever finally arrived. Like Cinder's coronation on Luna, her and Kai's wedding was relatively small, however it was being televised for everyone across the entire world to watch. A more intimate reception would immediately follow with only a handful of Earthen leaders and diplomats as well as Luna's president and cabinet.

As Cress was getting ready in her room, she had the netscreen on and was watching the live updates with the rest of the world. She was just finishing the final touches on her hair when someone knocked on her door.

"You ready, Shortcake?"

"Coming." Cress grabbed her shoes, tugging them on as she hobbled towards the door.

Jacin was leaning against the wall, hands shoved in his pockets. He looked almost like he could have been a prince himself, dressed in a stark black suit. His knife was strapped around his leg as per usual. He offered the faintest of smiles.

"You look nice."

Cress smiled, a trifle shyly. "Thanks. So do you." She added. If felt like the right thing to say.

Jacin smirked. He cocked his head to the side, offering her his arm.

Cress's grin widened, wrapping her arm around his as they started down the massive stairwell and through the corridor towards the throne room. Two guards standing at the throne room entrance opened the doors for them.

"Is it weird for you being escorted by guards when you used to be one?" Cress asked quietly. The rest of the guests were quietly milling around and enjoying small appetizers while waiting for the ceremony to begin.  

Jacin shrugged one shoulder. "Maybe a little."

Cress craned her neck to look around. She tried to spot the cameras, but they were well disguised.

"Have you two set a date yet?"

Cress snapped her gaze back to Jacin. She grinned. "March 15th."

"So soon."

"Seems far." Cress groaned.

Jacin almost laughed. "It's just over two months. Most people plan a wedding a year in advance."

"I don't know how they do it. You and Winter were smart."

"I agree."

Cress grinned, anticipation making her giggly. She glanced around again. recognizing a few of the Earthen leaders and their wives.

"Hungry?" 

Cress nodded and they started towards a beautiful decorated table with all kinds of snacks. Jacin handed her a napkin and she picked up a few familiar looking things.

It seamed likes ages but it was probably only an hour or so before everyone was told to begin finding their seats as the ceremony was about to begin.

Cress quickly dabbed her mouth with her napkin, tossing it in a waste basket, before walking beside Jacin as they were escorted through the pair of grand double doors into the ballroom. They were seated towards the front.

Sinking down as gracefully as she could, Cress craned her neck toward the back of the room. She guessed that's where Cinder would be coming from.

A hush settled over the crowd and Cress stifled a squeal. Music poured out of the hidden speakers, filling the room with warmth and sunshine.