Chapter 39

Rose

It has been 5 days since they left.And all I have been doing since then is laying on my bed with Sydney keeping me company all the time.Lissa too sometimes.She'd bring her son,Nathan or as we all call him Nate with her.Sometimes I'd go out to take some fresh air with them of course.

But the one thing that bothers me is none of them have contacted me nor Sydney or anyone else ever since they left.I'm worried of course.

"Rose don't worry about it too much.They're all pros and you said it yourselves that they are all better than any guardians here." Sydney said.

"I know.But come on Syd,they might get into a strigoi trap because honestly,we have all been there." I sighed,rubbing my head."Have you been lying to me?"

Her face stayed blank."What are you talking about Rose.."

"I know Dimitri.He wouldn't call me and tell me about the progress because he doesn't want me to be more worried about them.And he'd surely call you to know how I'm doing."

"Okay.You caught me.Right now,they're on their way to Tacoma."

"Tacoma? I thought they're in Russia."

"You remember the strigoi that Dimitri told you about,Sergei?" I nodded."Dimitri got him.And you know they did a little torture session," she shuddered when she said that."They did that for days and Sergei finally cracked yesterday."

"So what did they find out?" I asked eagerly."Did they find out who wrote the letter?" I asked recalling the letter.

"Yes.It's Tasha Ozera." I gaped.

"You have got to be kidding...she wouldn't turn strigoi.." In fact,she's one of the people who really hates the strigoi and wants to get rid of them."Not in a million years would she ever turn Strigoi.."

"She didn't.She got turned." Sydney said simply."I'm sorry Rose,I know she's your friend..are you close?" We're friends but there's a time when I had been really jealous of her because she's really close to Dimitri.

"No.But still she's Christian's aunt.He must be really devastated if he finds out." Poor Christian,first it's his parents then his aunt.

Sydney bit her bottom lip.

"He did.He was there too when Dimitri called.He...had a sorrow look and just completely sad.But he didn't cry or anything,he just said that he hope Dimitri would find her and free her soul.He too doesn't want you to know about this but I can't really keep a secret that big from you."

Now I'm angry.

"I know I'm dying but you can't keep things like that from me! I'm still the same Rose.I can handle it." Maybe I shouldn't have shouted because it's causing me a great pain in my chest.

Sydney pushed me down gently.

"We're just worried Rose and I have to admit that you're actually my first real friend.Being an alchemist is hard.The people there are not really friendly nor that nice." Her lips turns into a small sad smile."I know that's just sad but it's the truth." I smiled warmly."And you should rest.From what I'm seeing,you're definitely getting better each day."

"I've had enough rest.Where's Christian?"

Sydney looked at her watch.

"Lissa is in another meeting and Christian is probably in his room.He doesn't really go out that much on the weekends." Weekends? What day is it?

"What day is it?" I echoed my thought.

"Saturday."

"Sydney help me up." My body hasn't done anything for 2 days.So yeah it kinda' hurts."Thanks.And now let's go to Christian and no I'm not going to embarrass myself by using a wheelchair."

"Rose." She groaned."It's not embarrassing.The whole Moroi knows what you're going through." I shot her a 'really' look."Okay maybe not everyone.But still are you sure you can walk?"

"Yeah and no I'm not using crutches.It hurts my armpits.." I muttered.

"Fine."

People greeted me with smiles and nods as I walk like I'm a queen or something.

"I can't believe I'm saying this,but I wish people aren't that nice to me.."

"They're just paying you respect." Sydney said.

"Hey you've been here for quite awhile.Don't your head alchemist or something knows about this? Aren't you supposed to be station in places or something.."

"Rose if you want to get rid of me just say it clearly." She said with a sly smile.

"That's not what I meant.You know what I mean.I just don't want you to get in trouble because Abe told you to take care of me."

She stayed silent after that so I decided to let it go.But after a short while,I heard her muttered

"Too late for that."

++++++++++///+////////+/////

"Hey Rose- " Christian greeted me as he opened the door.I cut him off with a hug."O-okay wh- what's happening?"

"I'm so sorry about Tasha." I said softly and quietly.He tightened his arms around me."Are you okay?" As soon as I said that I mentally punch myself."Sorry.Dumb question.Of course you're not.."

"Come on let's talk inside.."

"Why did you tell her?" Christian asked Sydney.He sighed."Never mind.She was bound to know."

"You guys have to stop treating me like I'm a newborn baby.I can handle the truth.And honestly,I don't blame Tasha for doing this..I mean this is not Tasha,this is a monster.." Christian pursed his lips."And I know this is a dumb question,but did you ever thought of trying to turn her back again.."

"As much as I love Tasha,I can't ask Lissa doing something that dangerous again..maybe it's better by freeing her instead."

I hang with Christian and Sydney after that.Lissa came back an hour later.

We were just about to put on a movie when Christian's phone rings.

"Hello?" He said.I couldn't hear the person on the other line.Christian shot up straight."It's Dimitri."