Chapter 32

Rose

I woke up in the middle of the night.It felt weird,one moment I was in Dimitri's arm and now I'm on a big comfy bed.

"Finally,you're awake." He sighed in relief then handed me a hot chocolate."You've been sleeping for a day.I almost called the doctor,but Lissa said it's probably because you hadn't had much sleep."

"Probably." Though I know that's not the case."I'm fine.Really." Dimitri pursed his lips.

"Rose," He sighed then sat beside me."You know I know when you're lying.I know something happened.There's something different about you and I don't mean it in a good way either.Is there something you want to tell me?"I bit my lip.I know I should tell him but I don't want to worry him and talking about Rocket's death tears me up everytime.He put his hand on top of mine and rubbed small circles on it using his thumb and offered a warm small smile."It's okay.You know you can trust me.We're partners.And we protect each other." He brings my hand to his lips.

"Okay." I took in a deep breath."Something horrible had happened.Well of course there's always something horrible that happens when you're a Hunter but- this one- is really horrible." He squeezed my hand,telling me to go on.So I told him everything that had happened in Minnesota.

He listens and didn't even interrupt once.His face was determined.I was already crying.

"I blame myself for his death." My face grim."If I hadn't- "

"No.There's nothing you could have done.You were paralyzed." His voice soft but firm."Rose,you can't blame yourself for everyone's death.You can't save everyone you know?"

"I know.But I am their leader.Their sargeant.They were counting on me and I felt like I've let them down."

"You didn't.I'm sure of that." He kissed the side of my head softly."It's okay now Rose.I'm here if you need anything."

"Thanks." I put on a warm smile on my face yo show how grateful I am to have him by my side.He leans down and kissed me softly.

"Come on,I bet you're hungry."

"Starving actually." My stomach has been growling.

"And I'm sure most of them are there.Zander and Skylar are always there at this time.They wanted to see you but I told them that you needed to rest."

"You know,I missed being their mentor." Being their mentor is definitely a lot easier than being a Hunter.

We walked into the cafe and sure enough they are there.I also see Ashley (Mayfly) and Josh (Tank) sitting at the table in the corner.

"Hey I'll be right back." I said to Dimitri.He nodded understandingly.

"I'll buy your food." I nodded then went to them.

I slid in next to Ashley.

"You guys alright?" They've changed a lot,like I did.Ashley offered me a small smile but Josh's face stayed blank.

"Yeah." Ashley said with a small voice."We're just...exhausted I guess.."

"I- i- I.." Josh expression turns into sadness and frustration."The nightmare won't stop.And- and I can't stop thinking about it even though it has been months."

"It's not your fault Josh.I know you're closer to Riley (Rocket) more than anyone." They're like brothers.

"We knew each other since we were kids.We were really close,always having each others back." A small smile appeared on his face."I told his sister like a few hours ago and she just completely broke down and I don't know why but I told her how he got killed."

It went silent for a moment.

"At least our days as Hunters are over so what are you guys gonna do next?" I asked,to distract them from a bit.

"I maybe will be an instructor at St.Vlads.They offered so I took it." Ashley said.

"I'm going back to guarding Reed Schlovsky.He's a nice guy so that's good.And I'm guessing that you're going back to guarding the queen?" It's more of a statement more than a question.

"Yeah.Look why don't you join us?" I asked,nodded to where Dimitri and the others at.

"No.It's okay.We'll talk later." Josh said.

I nodded then left to my table.I slid in next to Skylar.

"How are they?" Dimitri asked,face thoughtful.

"Grieving.Pretty much all of us is still are."

Dimitri bought me a turkey sandwhich and an ice tea.

"What happened?" Zander asked.

"Bad things." I answered."So you two have settled on being a guardian right?"

They stare at each other.

"Um..I was thinking maybe I could be a Hunter." Skylar said.

"What?" Me and Dimitri said at the same time.

"Yeah.I mean I don't have anyone.My parents are gone and I've been raised by the academy.And you guys said yourselves that I'm really good."

"But you have us.We care about you.Skylar I treat you like family.And being a Hunter is extremely hard and there's a lot of consequences to it.What about your relationship with Zander? Have you even told him?"

"She did.I was..not happy but I have to respect what she wants.And we'll try to work it out.You and Dimitri work it out just fine and I hope we can too."

"Skylar you still have time.Just keep thinking about it." Dimitri said.

Dimitri

We were walking back to our room when Rose suddenly clutched her stomach.

"Rose are you okay?"She paled then sprinted to our room.I caught up a few minutes later,barging into the room."Rose!" I yelled then I heard moaning and gagging from the bathroom."Rose I'm coming in."

"N- no.Dimitri don't!" I ignored her and kicked the door open.

I was shock at what I'm seeing.