40

The Survey Corps

"So, what was he like?" I asked as I placed the knight on the left side of the board. Erwin examines the positions of the pieces while figuring out his next move.

I thought when he said we're going to talk it'll be all uncomfortable and unnerving but, we're playing chess so, maybe that's why I've calmed down a bit.

"Dad?" He ask while placing his pawn. I just nodded.

"He was a teacher, a great one and I killed him." He answered plainly. I let out a slight chuckle.

"I already knew that, and you did not kill him Erwin." I said shaking my head. I saw him furrow his bushy eyebrows.

"You do?"

"I sort of spied on you back then when I wasn't going on any missions. And I heard about what happened, right before he died." I said before making my move as he listens attentively. "I can assure you, it wasn't your fault."

"I was the one who spread the rumor that there are lives outside the walls, that's exactly what got him killed. I was reckless." Erwin said with guilt on his tone.

"You really think it's just a rumor?" I asked, raising my eyebrow. He was silenced for a moment. I know for a fact he doesn't think it's just a rumor. Our dad was right, and that's why the government got rid of him.

"Sure you were reckless but, you were just a kid. Just like I was when my grandfather ordered me to kill a bunch of people." I said mindlessly.

"Yeah, I don't think those situations are similar at any point." He says, I let out a slight chuckle while shaking my head.

"And speaking of your grandfather, I heard the military police are now looking for him. You don't have to worry about him reaching out to you anymore." Erwin says in a reassuring tone. But it didn't work.

"Goodluck with that." I said bitterly as I moved a piece.

"What do you mean?"

"Preston Karpov isn't someone you can just catch that easy you know. There's no way you can get to him." I said. His eyebrow raised.

"He really is that big of a deal?" He asked curiously and made his move.

"Yes. Mark my word, once he hears that someone's after him, he disappears. Like a ghost." I said and placed my Queen beside his king.

"Checkmate."

"Damn it!" Erwin flipped the board after losing for the third time. I grinned.

I went out of his office after he finally accepted his defeat and briefed me on my activities for today. Apparently I have a lot of random tests to do as a new member of the survey corps, he gave me the list.

I was on my way to the cafeteria to grab an apple before looking for Hanji when a tall blonde popped in front of the door. I was startled.

"Oh I'm sorry, I didn't mean to scare you Miss Tanya." It was Rosie.

"It's fine, you didn't scare me." I said as I went in the cafeteria. "Why are you here, aren't you supposed to be in the infirmary?" I asked trying to engage a small talk. I only knew because I heard Hanji talking about an interning nurse then points at Rosie.

Her eyes gleamed while her cheeks flushed red. "You knew?"

"I just heard." I shrugged without any emotion as I shuffled through the crate.