66

Wall Maria: The midnight sun

Jean was in a state of panic.

Just right after Reiner had escaped, all of his squad members excluding Eren, Mikasa and Armin were all there.

All except for Tanya.

"Hanji-san!" He called before rushing towards them. "Where's... Tanya?"

Moblit and Hanji glanced at each other before looking away. "S-she.. uhm. She pushed us in the well, before she got caught in the explosion."

The two widened their eyes upon hearing what Hanji said. They couldn't believe it. They did not want to believe it. The three of them were too close to Bertoltd.

If Tanya was caught in the explosion, there's a big chance that Tanya is dead.

"No." Jean shook his head. Determination was burning in his eyes as he walked away. 'She can't be.'

"Jean! Where are you going?!" He heard Connie yell. All of them were devastated by the fact that Tanya was gone. Hanji and the others were too close to the explosion, there's no way anyone could've survived that blow.

"I have to find her. There's no way she could be...." Jean scoffed, he couldn't even finish that sentence. He kept telling himself that she's alive.

'She's Tanya for fucksake. She can't die!'

"Jean wait!" Moblit and Hanji ran towards him, trying to catch up.

"I need to find her!"

"N-no I know! That's why we're coming with you." Hanji placed a hand on Jean's shoulder, his gaze softened before giving them a nod.

"We'll go back to the area where the well was, she can't be that far." Connie said before running away even with Sasha on his back to save gas. And just like that, the operation to find Tanya has began.

__

It has been half an hour since they started looking for Tanya, and there was still no sign of her anywhere. They can't just give up, especially Moblit and Hanji after being saved by her.

Jean was still feeling that anxiousness inside his chest, he knew he isn't gonna get rid of that feeling unless they found her. Walking behind a ruined house, he sighed to himself when he found it empty.

He can't just give up. They still haven't made up yet, he knows Tanya was just trying to be nice to them by saying she forgives them, but Jean knew they did not deserve an ounce of it, not even a little. They had to earn it. But how can they ask for proper forgiveness if she's gone?

"No." Jean slapped himself with both hands. 'Stop thinking she's gone. She's not. Tanya's alive. I know it.'

Jean was so consumed by his thoughts that he accidentally tripped on a rock making him almost fall face first on the ground, when he suddenly saw a hand sticking out of a pile of rocks.

His eyes widened. That hand, had a scar on its palm, similar to his.

"Tanya." He panicked as he dug towards the rocks, removing every piece trying to free her. Everyone's eyes narrowed to where Jean was.

"Connie! Moblit-san! Help me get these off!" He yelled frantically as the two obeyed what he said and removed the pieces of rocks. Even with an injured arm, Jean fought through the pain, none of them stopped until they saw the unconscious body of the girl. Jean's just felt his heart shattered to pieces.

"Moblit! Get me a cloth, water and bandages from what's left of the supplies." Hanji said before rushing over to the girl. Her face was covered with dust and blood, her sleeves were burnt off even her jacket, leaving her with her white long sleeve that was now stained. They looked at her state worriedly and tried to feel her pulse.