Chapter 10 (Maria)

Chapter 10 (Maria)

When I stepped into the dining room, they were already sitting and waiting for the first course of the evening. The maid had set up a plate for me next to Robbie and...

"Allan!" I squealed, running in and hugging my uncle from behind. Allan was my father's older brother, and I hadn't seen him since Christmas last year. He use to come by more often but he's been so busy with his job in Connecticut we rarely see him these days. He was my favorite uncle out of my father's and mother's siblings. He was always spoiling Robbie and me.

"Maria," he said, patting my arm, "I think you grew even taller."

"God, please no. I could use some shrinking if anything," I said, taking a seat.

Robbie gave me a perfunctory nod when I sat down. That was pretty much the extent of our communication lately.

"Maria, how nice of you to join us," My grandmother said from the other side of the table.

"I said I would," I answered under my breath; my grandmother brought out the passive-aggressive in me.

"If you had come a bit early, I would have properly introduced you to Ana and her daughter Viviana. I'm sure you had an excellent reason as to why you're late, though."

"New York traffic. It's killer," I said, grabbing a dinner roll.

"You live in the city?" The girl asked.

I looked up to see she was sitting in front of me. I hadn't even noticed her in my excitement to see my uncle joining us.

She was stunning. Long curling brown hair and big green eyes. She was slender but still curvy.

"Yeah, I go to school there," I said, cutting my roll open.

"I'm sorry, I'm Viviana," she said, smiling at me. Her smile was shy and soft, but her eyes were anything but. She gave me a sweeping look, assessing me.

"Maria."

"So, do you go to school with Robbie? That must be so exciting!" She exclaimed and gave me another smile. She had an accent when she spoke that made her sound cute.

"No. I graduated last year. I go to college."

"Wow. How exciting," Viviana said, "Like Gossip Girl."

"Not that exciting."

"That's what Robbie says, but I'm sure you guys are just humble. I can't imagine how going to the city every day can't be exciting."

I guess that was her favorite word.

"Well, Viviana, I am sure if you spend enough time there, you will see what I mean," I said, biting into my roll.

"I want to. I've been hoping Robbie can show me around, but he's been so busy with school and helping your grandfather. Maybe this weekend, Robbie?" She asked, turning to look at my brother.

He had been looking at his phone on his lap the entire time.

"Maybe, sure," he mumbled, not really paying attention.

"Maybe you can join us?" She asked, turning to look at me again.

"I don't know. I'm pretty busy too," I was being rude at this point, but I could see my grandmother looking at me and expecting me to be the perfect hostess.

Viviana pouted briefly and then smiled again, "college in the city must be really serious."

I changed the subject, "So, Viviana, where are you and your mom staying?"