Chapter 58

Chapter 58

That Friday, I went to the brighter futures event. The topic was banquet Robbie's grandmother wanted to have to introduce us to the Silva's.

"We managed to get a bus to take us there, so we don't have to worry about transportation," Justin's sister Frances announced to everyone.

"They also said they would provide food and that we must attend in our uniform," she let everyone know.

"Isn't it on a Saturday?" A girl asked, "I don't want to wear my uniform on a Saturday."

"It's a school event, Denise. You have to wear your uniform," Frances snapped.

I noticed Justin step forward, "Denise, the Silva's are donating a lot of money. We want to represent Trinity as best as possible. This event will give us all a chance to talk to them. Maybe you can bring up the need for new instruments for the orchestra. You can get that new clarinet you wanted before your Carnegie audition."

Denise looked as if she had taken a moment to consider it before looking wholly convinced. She gave Justin a smile as if he were right and would do her best to represent Trinity.

I noticed Justin was good at that. Convincing people to do what he wanted. I spent the rest of the evening watching Justin flit from group to group like a hummingbird pollinating a flower. He was so good with people. He made jokes where the students laughed and patted his back. Everyone seemed to really like him.

We ate dinner at a table with his sister and a few other students from the brighter future club. My mind was reeling with thoughts regarding the journals, the Bennetts. Most of all, the engagement that blind-sighted me this week.

Justin said something funny, and everyone laughed. I smiled to look like a daydreaming idiot and told myself to snap out of it.

"You know they should make people read 1984 in schools again. These rich pricks wouldn't be touting socialism so casually," Justin said, leaning back in his chair. There was kind of an arrogant air about him that no one seemed to notice. A very deep-seated sort of confidence.

I looked up from my phone, "What are you talking about?"

He looked at me, not following what I was saying, "what do you mean?"

"George Orwell was a socialist."

"Doubtful," he responded.

I shrugged, "It's public information."

"His books are clearly against the communist regime."

"That is not the same thing as socialism. His books are against a totalitarian regime. George Orwell was a strong critic of the Spanish war in the early 20th century."

He laughed uncomfortably and looked at everyone at the table. They were all staring at us.

"I think you're confused," he said.

"Confused about what? Communism or Orwell's socialist beliefs? I'm not confused about either."

He narrowed his eyes at me; I suddenly felt a nervous tremor rise and settle itself in my hands. Everyone had quieted down.

Justin smiled, "Well, if the smartest girl at Trinity says it's true," he said, giving me a smile and nodding his head in my direction.

Everyone smiled along with him. His sister elbowed me suggestively.

I don't know why I had felt so nervous in that brief moment before he gave me his approval. It was a feeling I had never felt before. Then when I got it.